chapter seven - starlight

"We were dancing, like we're made of starlight."
- Taylor Swift

I sat on Melanie's bed, a distant expression in my eyes as I watched my sister get ready for a party. The room buzzed with excitement, but a heavy cloud seemed to hang over me.

Mel was looking at me through the mirror as she said, "Come on, Astoria! It'll be fun. You need a break from the library, and who knows, you might even enjoy yourself."

I managed a weak smile but shook my head.

"I'm not in the mood, Mel. You go and have a good time. I'll be fine here." I insisted.

"You can't mope around forever. Just one night, please?" Melanie pouted at me.

Before I could respond, Brax sauntered into the room, his charismatic presence filling the space.

"What's going on in here? Planning a revolution or just a quiet night in?" He joked.

"I'm trying to convince Astoria to come to the party, but she's being a party pooper."

"Well, we can't have that. Astoria, you coming to the party?" Brax said grinning

I hesitated but eventually shook my head again.

"I'm not in the mood guys."

"Come on, for me?" Brax looked at me with puppy dog eyes and who could resist Brax's puppy eyes?

"Fine, I'll come." I gave in.

Brax rose his arms in celebration. "That's the spirit! Another victory for charisma!"

Melanie helped me pick out an outfit, a faint smile returning to my face as I admired myself in the mirror.

"You look amazing, sis!"

We left the room, joining Brax in the living room.

"Looking good, sis," Brax says, looking me up and down.

I blushed at the compliment, and together, we headed to Brax's car, the anticipation of the party ahead offering a welcome distraction from the shadows that lingered in my thoughts.

The party pulsed with energy as Melanie, Brax, and myself arrived. Brax immediately dashed off to join his friends, leaving Melanie and me near the drinks table.

"Come on, Astoria! Live a little. It's a party!" Melanie says, grinning.

I hesitated but, with a gentle nudge from Melanie, finally agreed to take a cup of alcohol.

"What's in this?" I asked, sniffing the drink.

Melanie just winked in response as we made our way toward Brax, who was engaged in conversation with none other than Jason. My breath caught as I saw him, wondering what had brought him to this party.

Brax saw us approaching. "Ladies! Look who decided to join the fun."

Jason's face lit up as he noticed me making my heart race.

"Hey, Blondie! Glad you made it." He said

I managed a small smile, returning the greeting. As a Taylor Swift song started playing over the speakers, Jason asked me to dance.