chapter seventeen - hoax

"your faithless love's the only hoax I believed in."
- taylor swift

Over the next week, I kept my promise to Jason and visited his mother, Andy, at the old age home. Each day, we spent time together, and I found herself captivated by the stories Andy shared about Jason's childhood.

One day, as we sat in the communal area, sipping tea, I couldn't help but ask about young Jason.

"You know, Jason never really talks about his childhood. What was he like when he was little?" I asked Andy.

Andy smiled. "Oh, Jason was a handful, but in the best possible way. He was curious about everything, always taking things apart just to see how they worked."

I laughed. "That sounds like him."

"He had this little notebook where he'd write down his observations. I remember once he tried to build a treehouse in our backyard. It didn't exactly stay up for long, but his determination was impressive." Andy said looking proud.

"Determination seems to be a theme with him." I smiled at Andy.

Andy nodded. "Absolutely. But, you know, he had a soft side too. There was this injured bird he found once. He insisted on nursing it back to health, and he wouldn't rest until it flew away."

"That's a sweet story." I said feeling warm inside.

Andy gazed outside. "Jason's always been a caring soul. He might not show it easily, but it's there."

As we continued sharing stories, I gained a deeper understanding of Jason's upbringing and the love that surrounded him. It made me appreciate the man he had become, and my visits to the old age home became moments of connection not only with Andy but also with Jason's past.

- Third Person POV -

Jason returned from his business trip to find Brax answering the door.

Brax grinned as he opened the door. "Well, well, look who's back. The prodigal brother returns."

Brax pulled Jason in for a hug. "Easy there, brother. You'll ruin your tough guy reputation." Jason teased

"So, how was the trip?" Brax asked Jason.

Jason nodded. "It was good, but you know how it is. Always good to be back home."

Brad raised an eyebrow. "What made you go on that trip anyway? You were adamant about staying."

"Just felt like a change of scenery. Needed a break." Jason said, evading.

"Break from what? You've been acting weird lately." Brax asked curiously.

Jason was getting defensive. "Personal stuff, Brax. Nothing for you to worry about."

"Does it have something to do with Astoria?" Brax says seriously.

"No, Brax. Just personal matters. Let's drop it."

"You sure about that?" Brax asked, skeptical.

"Is Astoria home?" Jason asked trying to change the subject.