chapter thirty one - superman

"i've loved you from the very first day."
- taylor swift

I pushed open the door to the local coffee shop, the rich aroma of freshly brewed coffee enveloping me as I stepped inside. I ordered my usual, savoring the comforting routine of the familiar surroundings.

As I waited for my drink, the bell above the door jingled, announcing a newcomer. I glanced up, and there, standing in the doorway, was Jason. Time seemed to momentarily freeze as our eyes met. The air thickened with unspoken emotions.

"Hey," Jason said, a warm smile tugging at the corners of his lips.

I returned the greeting with a polite nod, my heart pulsing with a mix of nostalgia and uncertainty.

"What brings you here?" Jason asked, leaning against the counter.

"Just needed a pick-me-up," I replied, trying to keep my voice steady. I couldn't help but notice how the dimpled smile on Jason's face seemed both comforting and bittersweet.

"You know, my office is not far from here," Jason said, gesturing toward the nearby street. "I've got some paperwork to catch up on. Want to come with me? We can catch up."

I hesitated, the weight of our shared history pressing upon me. A part of me longed to reconnect with the familiarity of Jason's company, while another part urged caution.

After a thoughtful pause, I nodded. "Sure, why not?"

As we walked together to Jason's workplace, the echoes of our footsteps carried a sense of unspoken understanding, a delicate dance between the past and the present.

As I took in my surroundings in Jason's office, my eyes landed on a small, framed picture on his desk. It was a candid shot of us, both laughing, taken during a happier time. The sight of it tugged at my heart, evoking a mixture of emotions.

Jason noticed my gaze and followed it, his expression softening. "That picture brings back memories, doesn't it?" he said, a touch of wistfulness in his voice.

I nodded, a faint smile playing on my lips. "Yeah, it does."

Jason leaned against his desk, regarding me with a contemplative expression. "It's been quite a journey," he said, his eyes reflecting a myriad of emotions.

I nodded, acknowledging the complexities of the past year. "A lot has changed."

Jason sighed, running a hand through his hair. "I've missed this," he admitted, his gaze sincere. "Talking to you, sharing moments."

I met his eyes, a mixture of emotions swirling within me. "Me too, Jason."

Jason traced the rim of his coffee mug, a thoughtful expression on his face. "Astoria, there's something I want you to know," he began, his words measured. "The past year has given me time to reflect, and I realize the mistakes I made."

I listened intently, my eyes fixed on Jason. The weight of unspoken words hung in the air as he continued.

"I left without giving you a proper explanation, without considering how it would affect you. It was a selfish decision, and I regret it," Jason confessed, vulnerability coloring his features.