Chapter 1: It Started With Pain

Yes, it started with pain

Two hefty security officers abruptly threw a young lady out of a hotel. They shut the gate in her face. Her lower lip pulled out in surprise and anger at how the security guards had just treated her, but no words came out. In annoyance, Grace flinched her fist and walked away. Unable to fight or cause more trouble scene.

After a minute of walking, she stood in the gathering rain with her credentials on Santa Maria Street, New G.R.A, Jabi Abuja. Unaware of the drizzle, Grace thought about how to get home, but she knew it would take only the help of God since it was her first time at Jabi. Grace just had to move.

She had to.

The situation reminded her of how tough her life had been. Living in an orphanage at Port Harcourt, moving to Lagos to hustle to complete her secondary school, and now finding a reliable job in Abuja. It was unbelievable that Grace had lived half of her life on the streets, and she was still yet to achieve success, unlike her mates who were young graduates, having wealthy husbands and living good lives.

"Every disappointment is a blessing. God will help me." Grace recited to herself repeatedly, with tears forming in her stormy eyes. She sniffled under the dancing trees. A heavy wind blew through. One would think she was crying from the effects of the wind. Maybe the dust had pierced her eyes, but that wasn't the case.

Studying the area, people locked the gates and doors to the major hotels, classic companies, and shopping malls around. There was nowhere for Grace to hide, so she trekked through the path. Her right arm wrapped around the other as she searched for safety.

The passing vehicles splashed mud on her repeatedly. Grace didn't care, though, she hid under a particular tree. Too bad, she dressed in a white knee-length mini-dress and 3-inch-silver heels. Although, it was all borrowed from a friend; it fitted her well. Grace grabbed the dripping wig off her head and it left her natural hair bare and open. Taking off the dripping wig was refreshing, indeed.

It was quite dark and raining. Thunderstruck against the wall of cloud, rumbled flashes that shook the earth in a quake. Beads of rain lashed the screen of a black, moving car. The ever-active wipers wagged it away, yet Micheal Balogun, a charming young man in his late thirties, drove in the direction of his home. It was already evening, some minutes to 6:00 p.m., but it looked like it was past 10:00 p.m. Because of the intense atmosphere. It was the last day of September, in the year 2024.

The usually busy road was now empty. His car windows were canopy-locked. Michael visited an old school friend in a hotel in Gaube and, somehow, he passed through Jabi. These are developing cities in Abuja. Glancing out the window, Micheal carefully watched the rain wash down the transparent glass, leaving it evaporated and blurred. It was beautiful, though. All he wanted was to get home, have a shower, and complete the project he was working on. Micheal was the busy type who only had time to himself.

Suddenly, his eyes caught a lady standing alone. It was Grace. On her was a white-cotton gown, all soaked and stained with dirt. Her natural hair dripped and the brown envelope she held over her head had torn due to her firm clench. Grace was all drenched and soggy. Micheal halted his car in a flash and revised to where she stood, shivering.

He watched her through his side window, and she placed both hands together, pleading for help.

With this, Micheal winds down his window.

"Please sir, can you give me a lift? I'll stop by the junction, sir. Anywhere to get a taxi home."

"Come in." He signaled, winding up the car windows.

Grace, scared of splitting water in his car, gently walked to the other side and climbed in. Once she closed the door, Micheal locked it and zoomed on.