Chapter 8: Compromise

“Aren’t you marrying into a Yoruba family? Don’t they love elaborate weddings? So what are you saying?” Ada’s bosom rose as she inhaled, and fell as she exhaled. “That you’re getting married without a wedding ceremony and photographs? What kind of in-laws does that? Don’t they have food to eat? Like seriously, Clifford's family is well off, darling! They don’t deserve an obedient daughter-in-law like you.”

“Ada, don’t say it like that. What Ore’s dad said is right.” Grace clarified. “That less expensive marriage has more blessings. If people wish us well, they can assist us financially instead of spending all our savings on the wedding. We’ll hold a court wedding next week. Saturday and Sunday are for Thanksgiving at the church. Perhaps, what’s the need for an elaborate wedding? I don’t have parents, siblings, or any close friends. Apart from Ore, only you and your mum are the family that I have.” Grace paused and held onto Ada’s hands as she usually did with Ore. Doing that comforted her. A sigh escaped Grace's lips as she gave a tight-lipped smile. “I also want to save money too, so I won’t get a cameraperson.”

“It’s your choice to be a bird of sacrifice to that family, bestie! I hate the fact that they said no photograph! Thank goodness I have a good Android phone. I’ll capture every single moment of your wedding. Today, I’m going to spend on you, so get ready, bridie!” Adanna explained  as they walked through the Riverpark estate. They faced a five-story building shopping mall.

“What?” Grace's eyes blinked with incredulity, and her lips parted in silent surprise. “I thought you came shopping with us?”

“For where?” Ada hissed behind a hidden smile. “Today’s spa is on my treat. We’ll also visit the saloon to make our hair and fix our nails before going shopping.”

“What? You must have a million naira in your account.”

“This is my first wedding gift to you, so relax. I just want you to have the best experience. Even though we’re like sisters, we’ve never visited a spa before. Let’s check it out. Come on.” Ada pulled her by the arm.

“Just give me the money instead.” Grace whined like a child while Ada shoved her away.

“Come on, bush girl!” Ada joked with her with a soft chuckle, as they walked through the shopping complex.

Mr. Adeshina Clifford, who had an appointment with his family doctor, entered the shopping complex. His focus switched into a frown once he saw Grace in a black mini-gown and heavy makeup. She hung herself to a husky man. She leaned into him like a giant tree while they made their way to the elevator.

Once Shina saw them, his face grew ashen. It was unbelievable. He stopped and turned back to see them properly. The lady wrapped her arms that barely covered his man’s chest, but she kissed his lips while the elevator closed hat the both of them. It happened in a blink. Mr. Shina thought about following them but, there was no need to create more drama. And for a while, his body went numb, unable to process the shocking reality of what he had just seen.

Instead of going to see his doctor, he turned out of the shopping mall and stopped a taxi. Watching them from the hotel room Susanne had just booked, she watched Mr. Shina board a taxi and zoom into the busy street. Susanne, who had earlier asked Dr. Emem, the Clifford family doctor, to call Mr. Shina for an appointment as she glanced through the transparent window in satisfying pleasure.

Of course, she knew Grace was in the shopping mall with Ada. Knowing they had the same look, a soft smile pressed against her lips, knowing Grace would face her fair share of humiliation soon.

“Oh, my God! I love this!” Grace cried as the massage therapist gently rubbed her nape.

“Uh, you can say that again, bestie.” Adanna giggled as she replied to her friend. “I feel so relieved.”