Chapter 13: Letting Go of the Past is Unbearable

The emerging sun painted the canopy sky in a hue of orange and blue, complemented by its golden rays.

Grace's radiant face brought light to the beautiful morning. A blue scarf she tied looked freaking pretty against her deep, dark melanated skin. She shut her eyes, reflecting on the incident that happened the day before, and she remembered. She threw her head back in a soft smile, knowing there was no need to panic.

She took her bath, pressed some of her dried clothes, and got ready before Susanne’s arrival. Noticing she was alone with the maid, Susanne donned the persona of a model and fashion icon. She put on a cream stretch Petra pant and a golden glamour now top. Her bone-straight wig, with gelled edges, crowned her head perfectly. She put on golden jewelry to fit and carried a cream leather purse in hand. While Musimbi was busy with the laundry, Susanne found her way into the guest house and unlocked the inner room door where Grace spent the night.

“Good, you’re prepared.”

“Good morning.” Grace greeted. Susanne watched her, stunned at how to reply. Grace was indeed gentle and well-mannered. She just didn’t think she would greet her. “Susanne, thanks so much for yesterday.”

“Hope you enjoyed your night? Have you had breakfast?”

“Don’t worry, you’ll meet my family at the right time. But today, let’s hang out.”

“Where are we going?”

“To the hospital.”

“What are we doing at the hospital?”

Susanne chuckled softly and threw her head back, making her silky hair dangle. You’ll know when we get there. Put on this earring. She handed her a pair of golden earrings, just like hers.

“When I was little, I envied those identical twins. They wear the same clothes and shoes and hairstyles. I never imagined that I was a twin until I saw that picture. I kept it a secret, hoping that Mum would tell me about it, but she didn’t. Not till today.” Susanne helped Grace put on the earring as ate explained. I guess she has her reasons. Wow, this looks good on you. Now, we look more identical with these earrings. Come on, let go.” she grabbed her hand and they hurried out of the guest house into the underground packing lot.

Suzanne drove out of the estate. Left, to the Nigerian federal secretariat, right to the Central Bank of Nigeria. Traffic congestions, but it wasn’t bumper-to-bumper. The traffic lights flashed — red, yellow, and green lights. They turned right. The wind was relaxing. It beat against the window despite being winded up and restrained by the air conditioner. Susanne was an excellent driver. More traffic lights. More passing cars and passersby. It was close to a year since Grace visited the central area of Abuja.

After several turns, Susanne passed the gates and drew up by a hospital.

About to enter, Grace pulled back. She has a fear of hospitals, known as nosocomephobia.

“Grace. Let’s go.”

“Why are we here?” Grace snapped.

I know you must give a lot to your mind," Susanne sighed. “So, I want us to take a DNA test.”

“What? DNA test?”

“Yes. Maybe you’ll believe that we are blood-related when you see the result.”

“Actually, you want to know more about me, just to make me closer to you,” Grace retorted, provoked.

“Grace!” the corner of her upper lip twitched as her eyes frowned. “That’s not what I meant. Don’t misunderstand me. What I mean is, we need proof that we are actual twins.”