Chapter 20: Bitter Confessions

At the shopping mall, Grace picked a new hair conditioner, shampoo, hair oils, earrings, bangles, body soap and sanitary pads. She picked up a bottle of lotion and was reading its content when her eyes stopped at its price tag.

‘#57,000’.

“How can one bottle of lotion cost this much?” Grace hissed. “Like seriously, even if it’s imported, doesn’t it have to be this expensive?”

“It’s not as if it’s your money.” Cryst shot at her and snatched the body lotion from her grip.

Grace’s face flushed in reaction.

“You’ve always been greedy, so why the act?” Cryst raised a brow and continued picking other stuff like baby diapers, baby oils, baby bottles, baby rash powder, and baby unisex shoes. Behind her was a four wheeled, metal basket shopping chat that swiveled from corner to corner of the shopping store.

“What do you mean, I’m greedy?” Grace frowned at her

Cryst took a step closer to Grace and gently placed her right palm on her forehead. Grace took off her hand in disgust.

“Are you under the influence of drugs or something?

“Even Google knows that you’re a better shopaholic compared to me. So annoying!” She hissed and took another bottle of the lotion just in case. Then she swiveled the shopping cart away.

Grace, with squinted eyes she blew out her cheeks in frustration. She just nodded and followed Cryst behind, till they got to the cashier’s check post.

“I would like to pay for these,” she told the cashier.

The female cashier who was chatting with her male counterpart focused on Cryst. Their uniform policy was a pink shirt on blue jeans and blue face caps, which fitted the lady perfectly. The cashier brought out the goods from their shopping cart and started calculating with the tag prices on it. Cryst deepened her hand into her side pocket and brought out her atm card while Grace simply watched.

“The total amount is #700,000”

Grace’s eyes narrowed in a shock under her creased brows. A short intake of air forced into her lungs but it all went down the moment Cryst turned her back at her.
“Are you alright?”

“Why this lavish spending?” She sighed. “I thought you wanted to get some gifts for your friend, but... are you expecting a baby?”

“Yes.” Cryst handled her atm card to the cashier and directed her gaze on Grace. “I’m expecting your baby. Maybe if you wake up to this every morning, you’ll remember your task for our family.”

“Ma, your password.” The cashier handed her the calculator-like POS and she keystroke her password it to it.

After a minute, the cashier handed her a slip and gently packed the goods into four large shopping bags.

“You should be grateful you have a good sister-in-law like me who has your interest at heart. So please, get pregnant soon, uh?” Cryst took one of the shopping bags and majestically strolled away while she left Grace with four enormous bags to carry.

Jutting a chin, Grace slammed her palm against the cashier’s table as she watched Cryst walk away.

“Hope all is well, ma?” The cashier calmly asked.

A flat smile widened on Grace's lips as she faked a smile to the lady. Her eyes squinted as she paused and suddenly rolled it, as if hiding her anger at others to see. Instead of carrying any of the bags, Grace stormed out of the shopping mall and took a taxi.