Chapter 6: The Unexpected

“Ugh, Ademi!” A woman in her early fifties sighed. Tasting the soup on the low-burning gas, she covered the pot and strolled to her husband. “Look at how old we have become. Can we learn from my elder sister, Bosede, and hire a young maid? She’ll be helpful, you know.” she was at the gas ring, preparing breakfast in her kitchen while her husband, Adeshina, who was in a simple T-shirt and trousers, mopped the floor.

He halted a bit and watched his wife with a frown on his face. “Are you insinuating that I take a second wife?”

Hadassah turned to her husband, seeking some reassurance, but to find none. “No, it’s not that. We just need a helping hand.” Her breath caught as the gravity of the situation sank in.

“I just retired and Ore is going for his Ph.D. in Canada. Would we use leaves and stones to sponsor his education? We’re lucky the scholarship board will cover his allowance fee. Yet, we’re still going to swim in an ocean of debt so, forget about having an extra hand, my dear.” Adeshina finalized. “You should save some money, too.”

“They must be here, come in dear..” Ore entered with two big polythene bags at hand. A big smile plastered his face as his voice heightened. “Hello mum, hi dad.”

“What are those?” Hadassah showed concern after receiving a welcome hug from her son, Ore.

“Grace bought you some new sportswear and sneakers.” He placed the luggage on the ground and the other on the breakfast bar.

“How do you know my size?”

“Come on, mum, I’m your son.” Ore reminded his mum, and she gushed at his response.

“Oh... I see.” Hadassah blushed once again, checking out the clothes with excitement.

Watching the one-in-a-million-dollar smile on Grace's face made Shina’s frown tighten.

“Hello, sir.” She greeted him once their eyes met. She briefly knelt and rose back to her heels. “Good morning.”

“I see you’re doing great at robbing off my son’s money. Don’t act like a good wife now, because I know you well enough.” Shina muttered, continuing his mopping.

“Dad!” Ore interfered with a scowl on his face. “Grace willingly paid for everything. Where will I get the money to lavish on such goods? Grace is supportive of us right now. You should thank her for that.”

“Hmmm...” He exhaled noisily through pursed lips, glancing at the outfit she had bought for them. “This must be for me, right?”

Grace pressed a small smile on her face, but he replied to her with another scowl. “Who wears a white jersey on black sneakers? It’s not as if I’m a child, these are not my sense of style,” he said to her face, but Grace pretended not to hear his last words.

“Ma, let me help you do the dishes.” Grace moved closer to Ore’s mum. Hoping to end the awkward stares.

“No, thanks.” Hadassah bowed politely with a wide smile.

“It’s okay. Ore can do the dishes, Grace.” He called to his soon-to-be daughter-in-law, and she gazed up at him.

“Come, let’s have a little father and daughter talk in the dining room.” Shina’s nose wrinkled in his quizzical smile.

Along with Grace, they stepped to the dining table. She served him a cup of water and sat in form for him, reciting silent prayers. Shina had always been tough even to his son, Ore. They would have been a couple if not for his interference now and then. But deep down, Grace knew that he was doing this just to get the best for his only child, Oreloluwa.