Chapter 18: Susanne's Plea

Even if Aunty Funke was not suspicious, Grace would not be doubtful of me. Now that I brought her here, she seems clingy, and she’s way smarter than I expected. She might figure this out in no time. Anyway, what do I do now? Susanne, who sat in front of her wall mirror, chewed on her thumbnail. Her eyes squinted at the effects of her thought. ‘No! There is no way any member of the Balogun family will find out. And I can’t live without Micheal. I can’t abort this child as well. How can I be so stuck in this?’

‘Tap! Tap! Tap!’

Susanne darted her gaze at the door. Then she stood up from the standing mirror and walked up to it. Pulling down the doorknob, Susanne’s gaze met with Micheal. Her heart raced as she turned to face her husband. His presence startled her.

“Darling... What are you doing here?”

Micheal stood with bolted hands in his pocket. His face raised to her direction as his firm jaws clenched.

With a nervous laugh, Susanne tried to play it off. “Oh, dear... How long will you keep standing outside my door? Uh?” she stammered, her voice faltering. You could have just called me. I don’t bite.

Micheal’s stern gaze pierced through her feeble excuse, and Susanne felt the weight of guilt settling in her chest. She studied him. His eyes frowned at her in a sceptical glare.

“Tomorrow, I’ll accompany you to the hospital of your choice. I don’t mind dedicating the entire day to you.”

Susanne’s jaws slacked as she shut it to an exaggerated smile. Forced and asymmetrical, then she paused. “I can go myself, it’s not as if I’m a child.”

It’s decided then. I and the driver will await you outside first thing tomorrow morning. Sweet dreams. Micheal muttered before stepping out of her sight.

A hateful hiss whooshed out of Susanne as Micheal stepped into his room. It pissed her off so much.

Despite her best efforts, Micheal’s disappointment was obvious. She couldn't convince him, and she knew it. As Susanne’s words trailed off, she realized that the trust she had broken with her deception weighed heavier than any hidden pregnancy.

In the living room of the guest house, Grace's phone rang repeatedly, but she didn’t reply. She just sat, watching it ring. Ore wouldn’t stop calling. She despite him so much and it terrified her to face him. Or speak to him. All Grace wanted was to avoid him as quick as possible. Or called her repeatedly until a hand snatched his phone from the back. He turned to see that it was his father. Ore’s face contorted to a glare when he saw his dad.

“You’re calling her again, aren’t you? It seems you enjoy wasting your time on that prostitute!”

“Give it to me! Right now, dad!” Ore demanded. “I don’t want to be rude to you. Just hand me my phone!”

“It seems your mum took it from my drawer. You take me for a fool, abi?”

“I’ll leave your house soon, dad!” Ore bursted at Shina, not minding the consequences. “If that’s what you want. I’m over 30 and I can build a family today if I want to!”

“See who’s talking.” Shina bluffed. He broke into a laugh with head tilted to the back. His thick eyebrows raised up while he paused at his the anger on Ore’s face. “You aren’t even a man! You’ll become one when you let go of that stupid orphan girl. You ignored your scholarship for Grace, didn’t you?”

Then Hadassah wandered into the living room. Seeing Shina painting Grace black. It amazed her as she speculated in curiosity. Her eyes gawked at him in disbelief. “Like seriously, Daddy Ore! You’re so impossible!”