Chapter 9: The Fued

“What on earth are you doing, Dad? How dare you lock me in the room and end my relationship with Grace as if it’s nothing!”

“Well,” Shina’s entire body became impossible still. He leaned against the standing wall as a shield and gasped. Uncertain whether to breathe or scream. “How dare you raise your voice at me? Is it because of this lady I’m protecting you from? How dare you speak to me in this manner? If I say no, then it’s no! Would you go against my wishes?”

“You’re misquoting me, Dad. Let’s sit down, the three of us, and have a friendly talk.”

“I have nothing to talk about!” He objected right away and walked to Grace, whose lips parted in silent surprise.

Figuring out what went wrong, Ore sneered, chewing on his upper lip.

“First, you have no education! Second, you have no family background, third, you commit adultery! Fourthly, all you want is to wreck down this family and tear us apart!” Mr Clifford snarled at Grace.

His words staggered her. Her stomach clenched as a wave of acid welled up in her belly. Grace held on her stomach and then her head. With the inability to think or accept her ill fate. Grace leaned onto the sofa to support her standing.

“I have to make it clear right now, my son loves you very much but now, you cuckolding my son.” he sounded calm and decided. “I will never allow a woman like you to ruin Ore.”

Hadassah shut her eyes to think for a while. These were unnecessary. She thought as her fingers dug painfully into her husband’s arm. “Even if you caught her with someone. Is it enough reason to treat her this way?”

Shina's eyebrows arched skywards. He pinched his like, watching his wife talk. “Why don’t you consider that? Grace is also somebody’s daughter.”

“Really?” Shina flushed with mockery. “Whose daughter is she? Tell me... Because she is not my daughter and she never be!” He finalized and his index finger shot at her. “Hadassah! Don’t interfere when I’m speaking the truth and pointing out facts!” He warned.

The anger in his eyes was visible. Hadassah took shaky breaths as her chest tightened. This was getting out of hand. It was already out of her control.

Grace's eyes were prickling with tears, then pooled in her eyes. Her heavy head bowed as she stood there before the Clifford family, her arms held onto her droopy body. And her mouth clipped to shame, but there was nothing to be shameful about.

“All these accusations are false, sir! I never cheated on Ore, I swear! He’s the only guy I’ve ever dated.”

“What? Are you calling me a list?”

“She just nodded ‘no’ with her confused mind.”

“I’ve seen you kiss another man with my own eyes. There’s no need to explain myself to you. Only God can truly tell your character. I’ve seen and heard enough! I should end this riddle before you chain my son into this bondage you call marriage!”

“Dad...”

“I told you don’t dad me whenever I’m speaking,” Shina warned his son.

Grace's eyes misted over to Shina’s words. She didn't expect her sweet-bitter relationship to turn out like this. It was just five days before their wedding. Her withheld cry turned to soft whimpers. Then the sob grew in her throat. Anguish stung in her eyes, swelled behind her ears, and rolled down in painful tears. Causing her to cry with a slack expression. Grace couldn’t hold any of it back this time. Her eyes shut and her whole body trembled. She was too weak to handle this. Defending herself was also meaningless.