Chapter 10: The Bigger Plan

About to call on Grace. Shina snatched Ore’s phone from his grip and threw it in his room. He locked up the door and held onto its keys, so he wouldn't have access to it.

“Dad! Dad! What on earth are you doing? You’re violating my rights and I don’t like this! Is it because I still live under your roof?” Ore threatened.

“If you think I infringe on your freedom, then arrest me! If you have the ability, take me to court for making the best choices for you and watch me throw you out of this house like a nobody! I married your mum when I was just 26! My father threw me out of his house as I struggled on my own. I made every single penny spent on my education and marriage. I had no family to run to! That is what I’m giving you, an opportunity to work and save and make the best out of life! I have never forced anything on you until now. Don’t you think there’s a reason behind all of this?”

“What is the reason, dad?”

“I caught her red-handed, kissing a man right in front of me. She’s cheating on you. Find someone else! Is that too much to ask?”

“Yes, Dad! Dad, I already set our wedding date and I'm sure you mistook Grace for someone else. She doesn’t even have male friends.

“That’s no business of mine, son! I won’t speak on this again!” Shina turned to Hadassah. “Talk to your son!” and folded his newspapers, placing them on a shelf in front of the standing mirror. He put on his sandals and walked out for a stroll.

Grace got home at night. She had tracked ten miles in the last twenty minutes. Where have you been? Ada rushed to her friend when she sighted her. You hung up the phone halfway, though. I called you repeatedly, but you didn’t answer. You made me worried and sick! Hope all is well.

“We broke up,” Grace murmured.

“Broke up?” Blood drained from Ada as she shrieks. “I will ask him right away what he has done to you! Why would he break up with you like, seriously?”

About to leave, Grace grabbed her by the arm and pulled her back. 

“No, don’t confront Ore. I was the one that broke up with him. I don’t want to marry anymore.”

“Nonsense! You’ve wanted to be Ore’s wife since that night he saved your life. You’re obsessed with him, and I know it! Don’t tell me his dad is up to it again.”

After so much argument and explanation, the tired friends settled in their room. Ada prepared dinner and served. About to eat, a message popped up on her phone screen.

“Um, there’s something I want to tell you, Grace.”

Grace didn’t utter a word. She just watched the plate of instant noodles placed in front of her. Noodles were one of her favorite foods, but not today.

“About my service. I got a letter and luckily, I’ll have to serve at Abuja here, but I won’t be able to live here any longer. You know the house rent is due. I’ll be leaving tomorrow.”

Without answering, a solemn tear rolled down Grace’s face. Ada placed a hand on hers and took a spoon. She signaled her to eat too. It was a sad moment for Grace, but she had hope that everything would be alright.

That night, Grace took the golden ring off her middle finger. She held onto it tightly, unable to sleep. She watched her phone repeatedly, awaiting Ore’s call or text. But all she got were random messages from her bank and sim card asking for a new transaction and subscription.  Frustrated about life, she placed the ring back on her middle finger and held onto her Bible. Reading a couple of verses and praying before falling into slumber.