Chapter 17: I Hate you, Ore!

“Are you going to invite me to lunch?” Chryst asked interestedly.

Surprised, Ore rolled his eyes inwardly. “Well, I don’t have money with me right now to take you to lunch. Maybe we can do this another day.”

Chryst smiled and dragged childishly at him. “What do you mean by you don’t have money? I can lend you some money now that we have time. You can pay me back some other time. Come on, let’s go!”

“What about my phone?”

“Will you keep watching me?” She chuckled, opened her car, and started the car engines. “Follow me.”

Ore raked his right palm over his head and walked into his car. They strolled into a big restaurant in Zone 4. It was called “The Amazonia”. The restaurant had a reputation for being one of the most expensive in Abuja. Ore barely visited restaurants. It was a waste of time and money. Though he wanted to turn his back, he needed his phone so badly and he hated drama. And Cryst was a drama queen. They got in and settled in their seats with blank faces. Except for Cryst, who faked a smile just so he would join her, but he met her with a glare instead.

Other guests, who were mostly couples, arrived, made an order and started chatting. The restaurant had the most delicious dishes and a jungle-like atmosphere with green leaves and flying doves.

Cryst sat opposite Ore and made an order. Instead of playing games on her phone, she watched the timid guy. While watched other couples, Ore swallowed on his saliva. It must be expensive making an order in such a place. The space had a well-furnished and it's air-conditioned interior was a glimpse of paradise. It was then, Ore realized that he was yet to have breakfast.

“Hello.” The server, in a black skirt and cream coloured shirt, greeted. She placed a tray of drinks on their table. “Please enjoy.”

She served the couple two plates of spiced jollof rice, a bowl of full -sized roasted chicken, sliced watermelon, and three bottles of chilled water. The server smiled and walked away, leaving the both of them to discuss.

Ore watched the server till she walked away. Somehow, he wished he could disappear from Cryst’s sight. She was such a character and all he wanted was to avoid her. Though he had decided not to eat with her; he nibbled on his lips, repeatedly and watched her devour on the plate of rice.

“Won’t you eat?” Cryst asked. Deeping a silver spoon in the rice. Chewing on it, she dug another spoon of rice from her plate. From the look on his face, he hated the scenario. 

“What up?” Cryst asked, finally dropping the spoon by the side of the plate. “You look sad.”

“I just can’t eat,” Ore replied her. His eyes pulled on the pool of water as she studied him. “I have a lot on my mind.”

“You can share with me.” She suggested, but he replied her with a dull expression. His eyes glaring into her soul.

“Okay, fine.” Cryst gushed. “Here’s your phone.”

She raised it up and placed it by his side. His face lighting up once she handed it to him.

“Give me your contact. Let’s be friends.” Cryst suggested with a big smile. Her eyes glittered, seeing him smile back for the first time since they met.

“We don’t need to contact each other anymore.” He clarified. “Let’s say our goodbyes.”

Chryst’s smile dropped immediately. Disappointment took over. Ore tapped on his phone and scrolled through. “Did anyone call me?”

Cryst shrugged. Her lips pulled down and pouted out. Ore tapped on his contact and saw Grace called. It arrived 20 minutes ago. Ore darted a gaze at her. “Did you answer my call? What the heck is wrong with you?”