Chapter 24: The Rejected Divorce

Kanye drove the couple to the Garki High Court. Michael sat in the backseat with his partner, while a guard occupied the front seat next to Kanye. Michael wore a meticulously cleaned, lint-rolled, and ironed black wool suit. His hair was neatly combed, and he sported a red tie against his crisp white shirt as he hastened.

Walking behind him to catch up on his steps, Susanne’s diamond encrusted necklace was one that glittered in people’s eyes, except for Micheal who seemed to be in a hurry. She had a velvet red dress that hugged her figure, but she quietly followed him. Getting to Barrister Isah Kosiso’s office, Micheal knocked on the aluminum door.

“Come in,” a masculine voice came from the office.

Micheal pulled the door open and as they went in.

The lawyer, a man in his fifties, who strived in a professional, polished look grey trousers and navy blue blazers, welcomed them in. The couple look a seat and after exchanging some pleasantries.

“My wife.” He said, introducing Susanne.

Barrister Isah placed a file before them.

Micheal brought it closer to Susanne as a chill froze her to the spot. A prickling sensation shot up her spine once eyes met his. Micheal didn’t seem moved.

“Micheal!” Susanne jolted. “Was this why you brought me here?”Hard knot constricted her dried throat, making it hard to breathe.

Micheal shot a glare at her and signalled she read through it.

Susanne sat motionless in the stark silence of the lawyer’s office. Her hands trembled as she clutched the divorce papers that represent the shattered remnants of her hopes and dreams. Tears filled her eyes as she nodded and blinked twice, lost for words.

“God! Did I say something wrong on Friday?” Her eyes misted over as she turned away to whimper. With a hand on her face, tears tricked from Susanne’s eye. The sudden redness of her eyes revealed the weight of the pain that overwhelmed her. “But you still love me, don’t you?”

“Maybe and maybe not.” He sounded rather boastful as his shoulders leaned back and his fingers crossed on the rectangular marble table. Just sign the letter."

“I can’t do that. You can’t divorce me, Micheal!” She flinched it back to him. “Not after everything I’ve gone through with you.” 

Micheal’s lips pursed; his forehead wrinkled thoughtfully as he turned his head to Susanne, pained. “You cried to me and I remember clearly. You held my hands and asked me for an explanation. That I was responsible for you and my silence has caused you nothing but pains and regret. I don’t mean to put you through so much, Susanne. If you can’t endure this marriage, I think it’s best you leave.”

Tears gathered in her eyes like raindrops from a stormy sky. Each drop carried the weight of a shattered heart. The pain of his words crumbled Susanne beneath her sorrow, as she felt to silence again.

“You’re so impossible, Susanne. I expected you to be excited, but here you are.” A tired sighed escaped his breath, and he nodded. “There’s no need to cry over it. I’ll give you whatever you want. Micheal urged. He grabbed the file and handed it to her. Go through this and sign it. Another tear drop rolled down, linking to the other tears dropped.

“Don’t be like this, Susanne. Just so you know, I’ll have over to you one percent of shares in my name. My family won’t know about it. I’ll protect you from any shame, but please sign this and gain your freedom today. Relieve me of any grudge you have. Before Micheal could place it on the table, Susanne grabbed it and flung it into the air. It slapped the barrister’s face and landed on his lap. The papers then scattered on the floor but, who cares?