Chapter 5: Ore's Proposal

In a blink, a single piece of paper dropped from the tree and stopped by where Grace sat. An unknown person folded it as a paper jet. She picked it up and looked around nervously. It was quiet. Only grace eyes rotated 360 degrees. Her legs froze, rooted in where she stood.

Suddenly Grace’s heartbeat increased, and everything alarmed her. She wasn’t able to move. It was something like an explosion of energy within. It was completely new, unaware, and strange. Then she unfolded the paper, and it said.

“Stand up and close your eyes for five seconds.”

Her smile caught up with her eyes, and she placed her right hand over her face. Dropping it down, she shut her eyes as curiosity laced her mind.

Suddenly, Ore clicked on a switch and the mango tree was lit with string lights.

Grace found herself in hysterics. Her eyes laughed at first. Like it always does. The string lights over the mango tree were Christmas lights. Though it amused her glittering eyes, the rest of her being followed swiftly to an audible yet withheld chuckle. Grace cracked up, and Ore walked from behind the shadow of a tree, smiling at her.

Just then, Grace came to know the reason for that moment and again, she was astounded. Ore was at it again.

He held a bouquet of red roses at hand. They were actually velvet and scented flowers. Ore walked up to Grace and presented her with his gift. Her eyes, her lips, and her spirit, all at once, beamed at him.

On a chilly night, Ore painted a ray of sunshine all over his face. 

“This is for you, Grace. Today is the 3rd anniversary of us being in this relationship. When I took you to the hospital while you were in a coma 3 years ago, I never thought that the girl in my arms was the girl of my dreams.”

Grace's smile dropped to the gravity in Ore’s eyes. He was calm and honest. “I didn’t expect you to love me this way, too.” She confessed. He always did things unexpectedly, just like the way he came to her rescue that night.

“It’s been three years of constantly being away from you. But now, I want to stay for good. You don't know how many lines of Rumi poems I’ve memories for you, but as stunned as I am right now, I can’t remember anything.” Ore deepened his right hand into the side pocket of his jeans and brought out a tiny box.

Without delay, he opened it and dropped to one knee.

“There’s no reason to lie or fake emotions. I might be silent and be a little slow through the years, but in my one desire to know you, all my desires have melted away.” he brought out the golden ring fixed in it.

“Come on sweetheart, let’s adore each other with love before there’s no more of you and me.” about to place it on her middle finger, she pulled her hand away.

“I shouldn’t think about this but... W..what about school?” she stuttered.

“Don’t worry. I’ll sponsor you at any university of your choice.”

“Does your dad know about this? Isn’t this the golden ring from your lineage?”

“Of course, my dad gave it to me with his permission.” Ore placed a hand up as if surrendering.

Her heart stopped as she processed the shocking news. “I don’t believe it. Your dad has always been against our relationship and he suddenly gives you a go-ahead?” She frowned.

“Come on, Anty Grace! It’s a marriage proposal, can’t you be a little romantic?” Adanna cut in from a dark corner with her phone at hand. She was capturing the beautiful moment and Grace just added salt to her tea.
“What are you doing, girl? You’ve always dreamed of being with Ore now, you're complaining. Say yes and let’s go home. It’s a little cold out here!”

“Ada, you knew about this?” Grace cried, holding her face in shame. “Omg! Did you both plan against me?”

“Come on, dear, it’s not what you think.” Adanna defended. “I mean, he annoyed me at first, but when he told me about his plan, I just had to play along.”

Grace couldn’t help but blush at the whole situation.

“Grace, my love,” Ore intervened with an intense stare. “I know our relationship hasn’t been the best. My dad made you suffer a lot, but I assure you, my love for you is pure. I would use all of my strength to cherish and protect you, my dear. I’ll be the best version of myself, for your sake.”

Adanna witnessed the love birds make their confessions and raised her phone while capturing the magic in their eyes. The love birds beamed with happiness. Tears of joy stung in Adanna's eyes and she sniffed silently and vividly. No one noticed the joy welling up in Grace’s heart, but she let the solemn tears freely roll down her burning cheeks that hurt from the extensive smiles.

“I won’t make you worry, or feel pained for my sake, I promise.” Ore continued. “It’s me who wants to spend the rest of my life with you, not my parents. They’re happily married in their way and I’m sure with you, I’m the happiest and the best version of myself. Trust me, I will satisfy you, Grace. As long as I have breath in me. I love you.”

With this, her lips pressed from a withheld smile and she gave him her right hand. Ore wore a radiant smile as if he saw her soul through her happy eyes. Ore fixed the golden ring on her middle finger and planted a soft kiss on it. Grace pulled him up with love and held him tight in a big hug. More tears washed down her pretty face as she cried onto his comfy shoulder. Although Grace loved Ore so much, she wasn’t expecting his proposal. 

“I love you too, Oreoluwa Clifford.” her low novice muffled in his white long-sleeved shirt. “You have no idea.”

Ore lifted her face from his shoulder and wiped out her lingering tears. He held onto her swollen face and sealed her subtle lip with a tight, brief kiss.

“You’ve shed enough tears for my sake, crybaby. I promised you happy tears from now on.”

Grace chuckled aloud and wiped out the remaining tears with the back of her wrist.

“Awn... Aren’t you the cutest couple?” Adanna blushed and took more shots of the both of them.

Grace limped with joy and flashed her golden ring to her friend. They ended up cuddling each other like long-lost sisters.

“Thanks for everything, but don’t you think the Christmas light is weird?” Grace emphasized.

“Well, I was out of ideas, you know. Let’s visit an excellent restaurant of your choice to celebrate this properly.” Ore proposed, and the two beautiful ladies crackled at him with a gust of laughter.

The three chuckled and walked out of a path that led to a busy street at Sundaba Kuje, a local government area in Abuja where they lived.

Author's Note:

Hey guys!

Thanks so much for reading on to this level. Is this story going fast or slow for you? Let me know in the comment section. I'd love to know what you expect in the next chapter. Don't forget to vote on this chapter and share the link on your Wattpad notification board. Have a nice weekend. ❤️❤️❤️