Chapter 25: The Slip of Information

Susanne, weary of her husband’s antics, hastened to the guesthouse upon her return home, only to discover it was empty. With her fingerprints granting access to every apartment, she swiftly changed her attire and indulged in a sip of alcohol as the door unexpectedly glitched open.

“Hey, sis,” Grace greeted upon entering the room, a smile illuminating her face as she set down the books she was carrying.

“You’re here today?” Grace inquired.

“Yes, just dropped by to say hello,” Susanne replied cheerfully, though her tone belied a hint of sadness, her red eyes betraying her emotions.

“How was your first day on the job?” Susanne asked, genuinely interested.

“It went well,” Grace replied with a soft chuckle. “The kids and I hit it off quickly. But I can’t help missing the classroom—the joy of teaching, introducing new topics, and being a child’s confidant. Teaching means the world to me! Hmm... I’m parched. I’ll fetch a bottle of water.”

As Grace busied herself, Susanne’s gaze fell upon a newspaper with Michael’s image on it. Slowly, she picked it up, her lips parting in disbelief as she scanned the headlines with furrowed brows.

“Is this the newspaper you bought?” Grace inquired.

“Yes, I picked it up on Thursday morning, wanting to learn more about Michael beyond what you told me. I needed to gauge public opinion about him. I hope you don’t mind,” Susanne replied, though she seemed preoccupied. As she read through the headlines, her shoulders slumped, and a sadness washed over her.

Noticing her sister’s change in demeanor, Grace approached her with concern. “Is everything alright? What happened, Susanne? Are you unwell? Did Michael mistreat you again? That arrogant man!” she exclaimed, her frustration crystal clear.

“I can’t!” Susanne interjected before Grace could finish her sentence.

Grace was stunned by Susanne’s defense of Michael in his absence. “Why can’t you let go of him? Is it because of your wedding vows?”

“It’s not just that. Michael is kind to me,” Susanne countered.

“Stop lying, sis! Do you think he abuses you?” Grace pressed, her concerns obvious.

“I never said that,” Susanne frowned. “Why do you harbor such animosity towards Micheal?”

“He told me the other day at the hospital to gain weight. What loving husband would say that?” Grace retorted.

Susanne blushed slightly. “It was a joke. Michael has a peculiar sense of humor. Despite his harsh words, he is kind-hearted and gentle. Not everyone sees that side of him.”

“Really?” Grace’s eyes narrowed skeptically as she took another sip of water.

“Micheal struggles to express his emotions, that’s all.”

“Whatever! It’s your life,” Grace muttered. “As long as you can handle him, good for you.”

Susanne smiled at her sister’s words while Grace finished her water. “You seem exhausted,” Susanne observed.

“Yes, I am,” Grace confirmed with a smile. “The principal and I had a lengthy discussion today, and she agreed to let me move into the staff quarters by month’s end. And the best part is—” Grace sat up eagerly, “only 5% of my salary will be deducted annually. Isn’t that great?”

But Susanne’s expression betrayed her inner turmoil. “What? Are you leaving soon? Don’t you enjoy staying here?” She looked into Grace’s eyes, searching for fast answers.