Chapter 23: The Surprise

Waiting outside the hospital under the burning sun, Ore watched a nurse pushing an elderly patient in a wheelchair and a couple of children playing with flowers on the sand.

“Hey, careful.” Ada muttered to the children not to cut the flowers. They ran away and giggled at her.

Out of frustration, a hiss forced out of Adanna as she checked her wristwatch. Ore walked up to her. When her face met his, she paused at him with folded arms.

“How many times will I tell you not to come here?” Ada snapped. “I don’t know where Grace is. Trust me.”

“I know Grace has no one other than you and your mum.” He heaved out a shallow breath. “You both are like sisters. How can you not hear from her? Did you even find Grace? I checked everywhere for her and even checked the orphanage at Port Harcourt, but nothing positive came out of it. Your mum also refused to tell be where she is. Ada... I know my dad is difficult to deal with, but Grace cannot be invisible overnight just because my dad hates her. I mean... She’s a grown-up lady, and I’m still in love with her. You used to advise me on how to get on with Grace. Why would you turn your back on me now? He placed both hands together and nodded as if closed to tears. Please, let me meet Grace once to settle our differences.”

Hearing his words, a laugh escaped Ada’s lips.

“Are you crazy? Grace is no longer in our league. She’s now an enormous woman living her dream life. What do you think she needs you for? Maybe she’s found a better nan whose family cherishes her.” Ada blabbed. “If she hasn’t contacted you by now, it means you are not relevant! So let me advise you, Ore. Forget Grace and move on!”

“What do you mean?” His frown tightened. “It seems you’re still in touch with her, thank God! Did Grace annoy you or something? You girls never argued. Now you’re painting her black?” He fumed. “My dad said he caught her entering a hotel with another man. Don’t you know Grace is not such a person?" Ore pulled Ada tight by her shoulders and shook her vividly. “Why would she leave me?”

“You’re hurting me!” Ada pushed him away, and he stumbled.

“I’m sorry.” His calm voice came as a plea. “I’m just desperate to find Grace. Please, tell me if you have any idea.”

“I don’t know where she is.” Ada admitted. “She never told me about any man, so just forget about Grace cheating on you. She’s not that kind of girl. I was just angry, so I assumed. Grace and I were practically sisters. She never loved any guy except you.”

“I knew it!” Ore gushed with sweat, lingering from his forehead. “My dad must have made that up just to separate us. All I want is to solve this misunderstanding. Meet her and declare to my parents that I’ll spend the rest of my life with or without their consent.”

“Ore, are you under a spell or something?” Ada hissed. Her face flushed at his words. “Like seriously, how can you take her back to your dad?” She emphasized, pointing to her back with her thumb. Her brows lowered above her squinted eyes as she gave a wide stance.

“Things got to this point, all thanks to your dad! You dad never welcomed her. What made you think he’ll welcome her now? Can’t you do anything without your parents’ support? I mean, would Grace still want to return to this position? Your dad bullied you guys dated for five years, as if she was responsible for all his downfalls. You who should have protected her and promised to protect her just sat and watched! Ore, your love for Grace was a punishment. You made that poor girl sad and brought her nothing but grief and pain.”

“No, Ada. Don’t... Don’t say that.” His eyes searched hers for a little empathy, but the rage in her eyes was evident. His petty games needed to end.

“Just now, I realize that Grace deserves better. No girl can put up with you and your dad for a day! Henceforth, delete my contacts and never disturb me about this. And from now on, it’s my goal not to see you to unite! Idiot!” She spat and walked away.

Ore gasped at her sudden attitude. He froze and stared at her with wide eyes. It’s unbelievable until now. This is going nowhere. Ore leaned back, blocking at Ada until she entered her ward. Forgive me, dear. I must find Grace. He told himself promisingly.

Musimbi took a pink package from the dining table. About to hand it over to Susanne, Cryst came out of nowhere.

What’s that you’re holding? Cryst stepped out of a corner, like a spy, with her chin up and her chest out. “Are you hiding it?” She raised a brow.

“No, I...” Musimbi looked down and shut her eyes, trying to rephrase her reply.

Cryst grabbed it before Musimbi could give an answer.

“It belongs to Mrs Balogun, don’t touch it!” Musimbi dragged it back."

Cryst scratched the bag off Cryst’s grip and adjusted her dropping shirt. “Don’t stop me when I’m curious about things!” She warned. “It’s for my family’s good. Now, let’s see what’s in here.”

Her hand deepened into the small bags as she brought out a thong. It was back and lacy.

Cryst placed a hand over her mouth with a tight gasp. “Like seriously? How long will Susanne continue lavishing my brother’s wealth? He wouldn’t buy this for her, would he?” She looked down and away at the thong like a rag. She picked it with the tips of her finger and placed it back into the bag. 

“She just want to seduce my brother in sleeping with her. That nightmare would never come true!” Cryst hissed bitterly and handed the bag over to Musimbi.

“Burn it!” Cryst ordered.

“Musimbi!” Susanne called from upstairs and majestically strolled down. “Have you seen my new undies? I dropped it on the dining table just now.”

“Yes, it’s here.” She gave Cryst a shy stare before handing it to her to Susanne.

“Susanne!” Micheal called and walked up to his wife, buttoning his back jacket. Once Micheal walked to Susanne, Musimbi left the three alone and hurried into the kitchen to do the dishes.

“Are you free today? I need to take you somewhere.”

A small smile crept on Susanne’s lips, causing wrinkles at the corners of her eyes. Glimpsing at her smile, Cryst smiled, too. Her lips stretched into a tight, unnaturally symmetrical curve, lacking the warmth that usually accompanies a genuine smile. Despite the upward turn of her mouth, her eyes remained distant, betraying the facade of warmth she attempted to convey.

“Where are you going, brother?” Cryst whined. “Can’t I come along?”

Susanne smiled at Cryst’s interference as she glared at her with a frown.

“I only want you to come with me today.” Micheal urged, staring at Susanne with such earnestly. She looked dazing in her flower printed Ankara. The maxi dress exposed her neck a little. “It only be the two of us.”

With wonder to why he was staring at her with such eyes, Susanne's smile deepened as she replied him. “Okay.”

As Cryst watched her Susanne receive praise and attention, a dark shadow passed over her features. Her eyes narrowed slightly with envy. Behind the facade of a polite smile, her mind churned with a mixture of resentment and longing to wipe off her happiness. ‘Was Micheal asking her out for shopping?’ She couldn’t help but wished Susanne was totally out of the picture.