Chapter 15: Acceptance

In a serene atmosphere, the orphans found comfort and security under the vast and open sky. The sounds of laughter and playful banter filled the air as boys engaged in spirited games of soccer, their enthusiasm contagious and their skills impressive. They played with a new leather-skinned ball, unlike the plastic ball they usually play with. Meanwhile, on the sidelines, young girls with deft fingers skillfully braid each other’s hair, forming intricate patterns and sharing stories of their past and dreams for the future. The scene is one of harmony and unity, where despite their circumstances, these children have found a sense of belonging and support within their community.

The caregivers watched them with excitement in their eyes, while some social workers at the Josephine Catholic Orphanage helped the children amend their torn clothes with hand needle and thread. The Sisters of Mercy, a dozen of dedicated blood sister established St Josephine’s Catholic Orphanage in Borokiri in 1965, for children abandoned on the street and accommodated destitute children along with the orphans.

Unlike during Grace’s time there, the convent had 27 children and no more room for more. The children, who were mostly under the age of 7, slept on cold floors and starved. Seeking a helping hand from the government was futile. No help came. Not until ten years ago, when a public appeal, supported by Catholics, Protestants, and other NGOs, raised two million naira for a better premise.

Grace was chatting with one of the social workers, Sister Vendetta, one of the elders’ social workers, when Sister Beatrice ambled up to her. She held the letter in her hand with her arms folded behind her back.

“It’s good to know that you’ve united with your twin sister. You’re a blessing to us, Grace. Though we miss you very much.” Her droopy eyes scrunched, watching the boys run after the new ball on the dusty playfield. The excitement on their faces where precious gems. “It was just like yesterday... You put a smile on your face even on the worst days. I know you didn’t live the best life, but experience is life’s greatest treasure. It will be nice if someone gives you the love you give others. Susanne and I had a little chat just now. You have no idea how happy I am.”

“I can never pay for the goodness you’ve shown to me, ma. I’m thankful...” Grace replied Sister Beatrice with a light chuckle, making her laugh lines thicken.

“Where’s Susanne?”

“She asked me to hand this over to you.” Sister Beatrice handed her the envelope. “I guess something urgent came up.”

In a breath, Grace unwrapped the letter and read it. It was her writing from before. It wasn’t the best, but it looked similar to hers. Water build up in her eyes as she read.

Dear Sister,

I understand it may be hard for you to accept both me and Mum in your reality. I would have done worse in your shoes. Please forgive our mum. I’ll take the blame. Truth is, Dad took you away behind her back. He told her you died of a sickness while she was battling with her own illness. Losing you made her sad for a very long time. That was why she kept it a secret from you. I met her yesterday and interrogated her myself. She said you died in your second month. Dad died trying to find a cure, and her heart disease is still critical now. This made me realize that you’re my younger sister. Grace, I am your elder sister. It should be me. It should be me who got sick and abandoned, not a kind person like you. But who am I to change the hands of fate? I would give my all to see you live the best life. I left some cash for you, I hope you’ll come home soon.

At that instant, Susanne landed in Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport and alerted an Uber to take her home. When she got home, she jolted into the mansion through the back door to avoid Cryst. She could be so annoying.