Chapter 11: Moving On

It was already closing and the children had retired for the day. Victoria was nowhere to be found.

It was another gloomy day in Grace’s life. Her daily vitality went from frying pan to fire. She sat by the school corridor, her eyes clouded with tears as she thought of her missing student, Victoria Ebok, who was a clever girl.
‘The story must have reached Mrs. Ebok now,’ Grace reflected.

Mrs Ebok, her mother, was a struggling widow. She sold fish in Gosa and Lugbe major markets, just to sustain herself and her children.

Grace’s heart sank with worry, as she wept alone on the bench in the school field. The once bright educator now seemed lost and sorrowful, her emotions etched deeply on her face. Her thoughts were consumed with concern and anxiety as she sat gazing at the empty field.

“Grace!” Mrs. Njoku walked to her with a smile on her face. “We’ve found Victoria!” Grace lifted her head from her scoring position. Her eyes searched for solace.

“What? Where is she?” her forehead furrowed.

“At the police station. Her mum filed a complaint and the police officers said the child wasn’t missing until 24 hours of not seeing them. Luckily, a call came in from a stranger. They found her at the motor park. Come on, let’s go to the police station.”

Without delay, the women climbed a motorcycle and hurried to the station.
Getting to the police station, Victoria sat on her mother's lap while her mother held onto her, crying out her eyes. Victoria still held the pink teddy bear in hand.

“I don’t know who to blame. The teachers or the parents. Leaving an eight-year-old girl alone in the motor park - how could someone do that? Knowing how risky it is to journey alone these days!” The D.P.O. who was in office, reflected on the matter.
“I wonder how she crossed the bridge to the motor park. I mean, what if she crossed the road? We should just be thankful that she’s safe and sound right now.”

“Yes, it’s our fault.” Mrs. Njoku took responsibility, while Grace bent her head in a droopy position.
“Her class teacher stepped out for a moment. That was when this happened. We are very strict at monitoring our students. No one would let a child pass the school gate without taking permission. It still baffles me how this happened.” The principal huffed, rubbing her neck.
“This is the first time this has ever happened in our school. You can testify to that, Mrs Ebok.”

“Don’t ask me questions, Mrs Njoku!” Victoria’s mother, whose tears were drenched, howled. “Is this what I have to deal with now? My 8-year-old daughter crossed an overhead bridge alone. She’s the only daughter I have. How do you expect me to live if something had happened to her? Forget about our relationship because this is far beyond that! I went crazy the first minute you disclosed the news... Now you’re saying that I should testify? How do I testify to such incompetence? Uh? How!”

Grace looked down and away with more tears welling up in her swollen eyes. She was out of words. Mrs. Ebok was indeed a sensitive woman, but you won’t blame her. She was right, after all. There was no excuse for such a mistake. Grace blamed herself mentally. She pulled herself not to cry at the police station. Though she blamed and hated herself even more.

“There is a lot of children's abduction these days.” The D.P.O bent to his knee and faced Victoria’s direction. She wasn’t a naughty student and wouldn’t talk about anything until she was asked.

“Can you tell us who took you out? Why did you leave your classroom? Are you forced out of your school? If it’s a bad guy, I’ll catch him.” He persuaded the young girl.

“It was my class teacher.” Victoria pointed to Grace with sincere eyes. “She expressed her desire to go out with me, and told me my mother was in the loop."