Chapter 4: Grace

“Grace,”

A woman in her late sixties, who was a short and mature lady, came up to Grace. She had her natural hair braided in shuku and a suited dark-brown skirt and jacket. While Grace wore a pink turtle's neck short-sleeved shirt and slim jean trousers with a pair of white sneakers to fit.

“Mrs. Njoku,” she replied with a flashy smile.

“Grace, are you ready to fully hold a class?” Mrs. Njoku suddenly brought up and confusion struck Grace as she wondered why she asked.

“It’s been a while since you’ve worked here at Ability Primary and Secondary School as an assistant class teacher, and I think you should get promoted. Perhaps you are very good with children. If not for educational qualifications, you are far better than the secondary school teachers working in this academy.”

“Ma.” Tears filled her eyes as her lips pressed into a big, bright smile. “This means a lot. I wasn’t expecting this.”

“Yes, I told you beforehand. I’ll make an announcement at the assembly on Monday. You’re to take Basic 6. I’ve informed the headteacher so there’s nothing to worry about. We will increase your salary by #20,000. I’m sure you are ready for this.”

“Yes, I am. I’m out of words right now,” Grace gushed, almost blinking out in tears. “Thanks so much, ma.”

“Congratulations, Grace!” The school principal stretched her right hand forward for a handshake, but Grace wrapped her arms around Mrs. Njoku to give her a big hug.

“Thank you, Mrs. Njoku!” Grace pulled out of the hug, still gripping the elder woman by her arms. “Thanks for training me over the years.”

It’s been two years since Grace got a job at Ability School. It is one of the best private schools in Abuja, known for its excellent performance. The school was owned by Mrs. Pamela Njoku, a very kind and transparent woman. 

“You deserve it, grace. Just keep up with the good work. If Adanna was like you, I would have worried less about running this school.”

“Are you gossiping about me, mum?” Adanna butts in from behind.

"It baffles me how you listen when I speak about you from behind, and pay a deaf ear when I speak to you. Mrs. Njoku ducked her lips and nodded her head negatively at Adanna’s baloney. You should better learn from your friend.” Mrs. Njoku yanked her daughter by the ear.

Adanna pulled away playfully. “You should give her a bigger position, mum, apart from being a teacher.”

"What do you mean?"

“Mr Tubosun, the school headteacher, isn’t functioning. Plus, he is a part-time teacher in three other schools. Why don’t you make Grace the assistant headteacher? It only makes sense that way!”

“Ada." Grace tapped her by the hand and she jerked.

“Will you allow me to speak, or will you miss this opportunity? It’s not as if you can’t do his job.”

“You’re only good at pushing people’s jobs on other people’s heads. What about you being the assistant head teacher?”

“I don’t want to!” Adanna objected.
“I can’t run a class properly, let alone a school. Perhaps I’m only serving at your school from the prime time, and not a permanent teacher. A nurse belongs to the hospital.”

“I’ll be a full-time class teacher now,” Grace whispered in enthusiasm. Joy was written all over her face.

“Wow, that’s great news!” Adanna wrapped her arms around Grace and lifted her with excitement. “We need to celebrate it tonight!