Chapter 21: He Doesn't Want Kids

"Why on earth are you doing this to me?" She turned away, swallowing in difficultly.

Micheal's thick brows pulled up. "You can sleep here tonight." He told her, hoping she'll give up her crocodile tears.

Her sad expression sank with the flickers of hope.
"What about you?" Susanne blinked, at his hovering figure.

"I'll spend the night in my study, working. You don't have to worry about me. I'll check on you tomorrow morning."

"Stop!" She held his hands by the wrist. Susanne had pity in her eyes. Her sweaty hands trembled as she gripped him tight. A shocked reaction took over Micheal, his gaze dropped to hers.

"As your wife, it's natural for me to worry about you, especially when we don't spend the night together."

Micheal frowned to her words.

"You must tell me today!" She demanded.

"Tell you what?" Micheal pulled closer. His arms left her grasp as he folded his arms over his chest. "What do you want to hear?"

"I don't care why you proposed to me that day and married me." Susanne's face went stone, yet, close to tears. Her lips tightened while she focused inward, with shaky breaths. The heated words held a heavy effect as she poured out her emotions. "As long as you married me, Micheal! You are responsible for me." A single tear rolled down her left cheek and she rose to her feet, placing a hand on his shoulder.

"When will I become a mother? Maybe I'll find joy in this marriage when I have a child."

"Do you really want a child?"

"Yes!" Susanne squealed out of joy.

More tears rolled down her eyes, as she nodded. Turning away as if ashamed of her confession. "Your family has been a lover my tummy since day one! It's been five years now, why can't we have a child? Why can't we spend the night together like every normal couple? Do you know what they say behind my back? They say I'm a miserable barren woman whose obsessed with her rich husband." Micheal watched tears gather in her eyes and pour out like a dam. "I don't even care about what they say or what anyone thinks of me! I just want to o have a child to shut them up and prove them wrong. Make me pregnant, Micheal, so your family will know my value." She cried convincingly.

"It doesn't matter  if you have a child or not. You'll always be my wife, Susanne." He assured her. "You'll always be my wife, Mrs. Balogun."

"Don't you see that's not enough? Mrs. Balogun." Susanne gasped. Her throat chocked lightly on a soft laugh. The laugh made the hanging tears in her eyes stream down as she focused her gaze on his.
"That title means nothing. It can change at anytime. Not if we have our own son!" Her eyes searched his for some empathy, as she cried but he turned away with a frown at the idea.

"Fine, if that's what you want." He face his with narrowed eyes. "I will try my best to satisfy you, but as you know. I don't have plans of having children. He pulled out of her grip at once. Never discuss this with me again. Micheal gave a warning tune and stepped out.

With clenched fist and jaws, Susanne narrowed her darting eyes at it pooled with more tears. Her fingers gripped his bedsheet as she cried alone with pain. Susanne knew she had not just failed in convincing Micheal to spend the night with her. It should be satisfying spending the night in his room but it felt empty without him. Susanne weakened to the effect of his rejection, slumped her head on his pillow abd curled into a foetal position. Her face contorted as she sobbed away the night in depression and loneliness.

The next morning, Grace strolled into a provision store at the neighborhood. She ordered for a chilled bottle of Nutri-Yo and a piece of freshly baked meat pie. Just as the seller was packing up what she bought into a small black polythene leather, her eyes crossed Micheal's picture on a newspaper. It was a daily newspaper. Though, Grace never knew he was so famous, she picked it up to read the headlines.

"Sorry, Miss!" The lady instructed . "You can't read that without buying."

"Oh," Grace's gaze dropped, a little disappointed. "How much is it?"

"It's #200"

"Good. I'll buy it." Grace smiled. "How much do I have to pay in total?"

"It's #950, ma."

Grace deepened her fingers into a red side purse she had, and paid the seller. "Your change!" she reminded her.

"Keep it." Grace smiled, staring at the news paper. Grace eyes scrolled through the street as she got a spot to sit. There was a bench under a big orange tree that provided shade. Grace sat without wondering if it was dusty or not. Once she sat, she grabbed a bit of the hot meat pie.

"Hmmm..." Her head nodded in satisfaction. "This is so worth it." Without wasting a second, Grace studied the front page. One of the the youngest and most successful businesses tycoon, Micheal Balogun speaks of his private life. Page 89. Grace flipped through the newspaper and skimmed through the sheets until she opened to page 89. His edited pictures illustrated on the page and he looked classy. Her finger dragged at the questions asked.

Do desire to become a politician in the nearest future? If yes, which political party do you belong to?

No, not at all. I'm too busy for that. Like I mentioned in my previous interviews, I'm not a politician. Politics is a dirty game, I'd rather not get myself involved. Although, I'm a humanitarian, I hope to give to the society as much and as long as I can.

“Hmm.... That's sensible.” Grace nodded and unbottled her chilled yogurt.

She inserted a straw and gulped throat it, relived. Then, she returned to the line she stopped.

Tell us about your opinion on Marriage.

Marriage to me is equivalent to money. It makes me more powerful, I mean, children uplifts the families name and legacy. And once you're married, you aren't just married to a girl but also to her family. Men should realize that women are always right, no matter what. And as a married man, I look forward to having a happy life with my dearest wife.
Grace's eyes rolled inwardly as she digested what she just read.

"See who's talking!" She smiled at his ridiculous reply. Grace would have believed his words

If not that she had met him personally. Micheal can really say anything. "Does everyone believes him because he has power and fame?" Grace pondered on the thought. "He doesn't even want children with my sister, how would he want a happy family? Except if he goes for adoption or if he cheats on Susanne. Grace took a last bite from the meat pie and nodded. Then she suckled from the straw. That won't happen under Susanne's nose. Her eyes narrowed abover her tight lips. If he doesn't want babies, what about Susanne?"

‘Buzz! Buzz!’

Her phone interrupted. She quickly unzipped her purse and swiped through her phone screen. It was an unknown number.

"Hello." She placed the phone by her right ear. "Who's this?"

"What? An interview?" Her eyes widened in alarm as she gulped on her saliva.
"Okay, I'll be there first thing tomorrow morning."

She blushed in reply as the caller ended the call. A sigh heaved out if Grace as her slim brows shot up in surprise while she placed her hands together saying, "Thank you God."

A shiver lingered down her spine, and a tingling sensation lightened her mood like wildfire. Then a single tear rolled down her eyes. In a sudden, Grace threw her head back and opened her eyes. She shook with laughter as happiness bummed through her. "Finally! I'm going be be a teacher again!"