percy hates on architecture

˚₊‧ ໒꒱ ‧₊˚

BOOK ONE

CHAPTER NINE.

❝ i swear it on goldfish crackers ❞

THE RHYTHMIC chug of the train wheels filled the air, creating a soothing background noise as the quartet travelled through the heart of the country. The gentle rocking of the train had become a familiar sensation, blending with the hum of the conversations around them.

As the train journey continued into the night, the compartment took on a serene atmosphere. Aria, now sitting next to Annabeth, found herself drifting into a light doze. The soft glow of the moonlight seeped through the window, casting a gentle ambience within the compartment.

Annabeth, engrossed in a magazine she found randomly on the ground, noticed Aria's drowsiness. Closing the magazine, she shifted to face Aria and asked in a hush tone, "You okay, Aria?"

Aria, blinking away the remnants of sleep, met Annabeth's concerned gaze. "Yeah, I'm good. Why do you ask?"

Annabeth hesitated a moment before responding. "It's just...you know, Sam. I can't help but think of him while we're on this quest, and I know you two were close. I just didn't want you to be feeling upset without me knowing."

Aria's expression softened. "I love you, Annabeth. You know that right?"

"I know Ri, I know."

"I would tell you if I'm upset. I swear it on goldfish crackers."

"Goldfish crackers? Really?"

"They mean a lot to me."

"You're as weird as Grover."

"Take that back right now."

Eventually, Aria and Annabeth fell asleep, their heads resting on top of each other. Little did they know that a certain sea boy had been listening in on their conversation.

As the second day of the trip grew to a close, the train neared St Louis. Aria stretched her limbs, feeling the stiffness of the prolonged sitting.

Annabeth, looking out the window, exclaimed, "We're almost there! St Louis, the Gateway to the West. I've always wanted to see the architecture of this city."

"You're into architecture?" Percy said with a laugh, making fun of the girl.

Aria shot him a death stare and he instantly stopped laughing, slightly cowering in his seat.

The train pulled into the station and the group disembarked, greeted by the city's bustling energy. Annabeth's eyes sparkled with curiosity as they ventured into the heart of St. Louis. The gateway arch loomed in the distance, a gleaming monument against the skyline. 

Aria couldn't help but admire Annabeth's enthusiasm. "What's so special about this arch anyway?"

Annabeth grinned. "It's an architectural marvel, a symbol of westward expansion. I've read about it, but seeing it in person is a whole different experience."

"So you want to become an architect?" Percy asked, avoiding eye contact with Aria.

"Have you ever seen the Parthenon Percy?" Annabeth questioned.

"No, only in pictures." The boy replied.

" One day I'm going to see it in person and someday I'm going to build the greatest monument to the gods ever seen. Something that will last a thousand years."