luke gets in aria's bad books

˚₊‧ ໒꒱ ‧₊˚

BOOK ONE

CHAPTER ELEVEN.

❝ so, i just, what, pray for a rainbow? ❞

IT WAS June 14, just seven days before the solstice, and the promise of discovery hung in the air like the scent of rain before a storm. The group had boarded a train to Denver, and as it chugged rather slowly into the station, Aria leaned against the window, her head resting harshly on the tainted wood. Annabeth tapped her on the shoulder, signalling that it was time to leave, and they made their way off the rusty vehicle and onto the platform. The first thing that Aria noticed when she got off the train was that there were not many people. Benches were left untouched in every corner, and only the occasional workers milled through the area. Maybe Denver wasn't a very popular destination.

The group walked aimlessly out of the station, breathing in the Coloradan air. Annabeth spoke up.

"We should try to get in touch with Chiron."

"Wait but we can't use our phones can we? The monsters can track us down, right?" Percy inquired.

"She wasn't talking about phones, Jackson," Aria replied to the boy.

They continued to walk downtown for twenty minutes, and Aria already knew what they were looking for. Eventually, a do it yourself car wash appeared on the corner of an empty street, not a single person, or monster, in sight.

"We don't have a car to wash?" Percy remarked, clearly confused about the whole situation.

"No shit Sherlock," Aria said, back to her usual mean-ness with the demigod.

"Don't worry Percy, you'll see. Do you have any more change?" Grover asked, holding out his hand.

Percy reached into his pocket, extracting a few quarters that had somehow managed to stay there.

"Great!" Grover exclaimed. "We could have done it with a spray bottle obviously, but the connection is always terrible."

Aria watched as Percy pursed his lips. All he could think to say was.

"What?"

"I'Ming," Grover said, as if that answered all his questions.

"We're gonna instant message Chiron?"

"No. Iris-messaging," Annabeth corrected. "The rainbow goddess called Iris carries messages for the gods. If she's not too busy, and if you know how to ask, she'll do the same for half bloods."

Percy scratched his head, a hint of confusion in his eyes, "So, I just, what, pray for a rainbow?"

Annabeth rolled her eyes with a smirk. "Not exactly. You need a drachma, an offering to Iris. Toss it into the water, and, if the goddess is in a good mood, she might bless you with a connection."

Percy reached into his pocket again, this time pulling out a relatively gleaming drachma. "Alright then, let's give it a shot." He gave the coin to Annabeth, who  stepped into the now kaleidoscopic vapour that glistened in the afternoon sun. She tossed the coin over her head and into the rainbow where it disappeared in an instant.

"O goddess, accept our offering. Half Blood hill," Annabeth requested.

As the colours of the rainbow began to shift and dance within the spray, a familiar figure materialised within the ethereal hues. Luke Castellan, with his tousled dark hair and subtle smirk, appeared on the spectrum of light. A sword was clenched tightly in his hand, and he was pensively looking out onto the fields.