taxi driver, be my shrink for the hour

₊ ⊹ book four ˎˊ˗

chap five!

٠ ࣪⭑

❝ do i look like a fortune teller ? ❞

٠ ࣪⭑ ARIA HATED cabs. The awkward backchat was never something she had been particularly fond of. Warm leather gently hummed against her thighs, and the drifting sounds of an indie pop song wove its way through her tired mind. 

"So," Percy said, breaking the subtle silence, "have you talked to Annabeth recently?" 

Aria nodded. "Yeah. There's no word on Luke though." 

Percy nodded. "Grover?" 

"Apparently he's at camp. We'll see him today." 

"Do you reckon he had any luck on his search for Pan?"

Aria raised an eyebrow. "Do I look like a fortune teller?"

"I can't say I've met many fortune tellers in my time, so I can't answer your question."

"Since when were you so sassy?" Aria asked with a grin, the girl fiddling with the bracelet on her wrist. 

"Since when were you so pretty?"

There was awkward silence for a moment before the taxi driver interrupted, the young man dutifully clearing his throat. 

"Farm road 3.141, right?" he asked, scouting the area with watchful eyes. "It's just up ahead."

"Yep, that's the one," Aria confirmed, her voice a little flustered, her cheeks a tinted red. 

The car came to a stop at the base of half-blood hill, and the demigod duo hurriedly exited, as if the vehicle was suffocating them slowly. 

"How did you wanna pay for your ride today?" the taxi driver asked, shifting his posture in order to get a better look at the teenagers. 

With sly fingers, Aria reached into her pockets and pulled out a wad of cash. Shoving it into the man's outstretched hand, she gave him a wave of thanks, Percy holding a look of incredulousness at the sight of the girl just casually having bands of money. 

"Why the fuck do you just randomly have stacks of cash on you?" the son of Poseidon asked, turning his back to the departing car. 

Aria shrugged. "I got involved with lot's of New York gangs. You never know when you might need a wad of cash." 

Percy scoffed. "Oh yeah? What gangs? The high school musical fanatics drama club?" 

"Shut up." 

The duo continued to trek up the crest of the hill, and eventually, a curly haired Annabeth bolted towards them.

"Ri!" she exclaimed with a squeal, practically jumping into Aria's outstretched arms. "I've missed you so much, you don't understand."

Aria let out a small giggle at the sudden display of affection. "I've missed you more. New York's boring without you."

"Hey!" Percy protested. 

With reluctance, Annabeth hopped out of the daughter of Apollo's arms. "Oh. Hey Percy. Forgot you were here."

The boy rolled his eyes. "Nice to see you too."

The trio climbed the remaining stretch of land until they reached the young guardian dragon, who was dozing, coiled around the pine tree. However, he lifted his coppery head as they approached and let Annabeth scratch under his chin. Steam hissed out his nostrils like from a teakettle, and he went cross-eyed with pleasure.