the home alone guys in an alternate universe

˚₊‧ ໒꒱ ‧₊˚

BOOK ONE

CHAPTER FOURTEEN.

❝ gods i hate turnips ❞

ARIA WOKE to Percy violently shaking her.

"The truck just stopped. Grover thinks they're going to come in and check on the animals," Percy explained, releasing Aria's shoulder.

"Guys we need to hide!" Annabeth murmured, searching for any available hiding spots, like this was hide and seek and not hide or get arrested.

"Easy for you to say!" Aria hissed, still reeling from the fact that she literally just woke up. "You just have to chuck on a hat and you're good."

Annabeth shot her a side eye before throwing her cap on and disappearing. The clattering of the door opening forced the remaining trio to dive, their heads going straight into a sack of turnips.

"Gods I hate turnips," Aria muttered, inhaling a mouthful of the horrid scent.

"God I hate you," Percy retorted, a lame excuse of a comeback.

"I thought we established it was 'gods' and not 'god'. Stop switching up on me, boy"

Grover hissed under his sack. "Shut up, they're coming!"

The doors flung open, abruptly letting light into the darkened trailer. Aria imagined that that was what entering Elysium looked like.

"Man!" one of the men said, turning his nose up at the scent. "I wish I got into the appliance business."

Aria shifted to talk to Percy.

"See, I told you turnips fucking stink."

"I didn't dispute that!" Percy returned, his voice barely a whisper.

The other man turned around.

"Did you hear that?" he said to the other truck driver.

"Hear what?"

"I swear to God I just heard someone say they thought turnips stunk."

"We're gonna stink in a minute if we don't hurry up, you fat idiot."

Aria was loving the drama.

The group watched in dismay as two rough-looking men approached the cramped cages. One of them, sporting a worn-out cap, climbed inside the truck carrying a jug of water. His gruff voice echoed through the confined space.

"You hot, big boy?" he addressed the imposing lion, pouring water into the animal's bowls. Without warning, he splashed the remainder of the bucket right into the lion's face.

The lion roared, a mixture of irritation and discomfort echoing through the truck. The man, seemingly unfazed, retorted, "Yeah yeah, you'll live."

Aria sensed Grover tensing beside her, and she wished she could reach over to comfort him. The other man, the driver, tossed a squashed Happy Meal bag to the antelope and shot a smirk at the zebra.

"How ya doin', Stripes? Least we'll be getting rid of you this stop. Do you like magic shows? You're gonna love this one. They're gonna saw you in half!"

˚ ༘ ೀ⋆。˚

Percy had never been an animal whisperer. In fact, he didn't really associate with many animals (except Grover if you will). He didn't have any pets growing up, and he was never really interested in trips to the zoo or the aquarium. So to say that when the zebra looked at him straight in the eye and said 'You have to free me. Please help.', he was a little concerned. For both the zebra, and for his mental health.