CASE #018

CASE #018

We were in Towa's room. It was messy on his table but really clean in other places. I wanted to visit and thought of saying thank you. He welcomed us cheerfully but I noticed that thoughtful looks he's giving me. It's like he knows something about me that even I, myself don't.

I examined the books and one caught my eyes. It was around 3cm thick and cyan in color, with hard cover. I pulled it out and flipped the page to index.

"Azure?" I frowned. I heard of that somewhere.

Towa and Seijuurou-Senpai turned to me. "Ah, Azure." Towa spoke and I looked at him.

He and Senpai exchanged glances. "Azure is a powerful evil spirit that is used by humans to grant wishes. She can revive souls but with a payment and the payment usually is a suffering that will haunt the victim. Azure will be awakened only a few years after an offering is made. When an awakening happens, the city would become restless and chaotic. Bloods would be shed and people would be sacrificed.

"The symptom of her awakening are weird continuous crimes and a crescent moon shall appear on the 13th of a random month. She would feed on evil spots residing in human's hearts and summon dead souls to disturb humans. Azure can be temporarily sealed by a bloody ritual, which will need human sacrifice." Towa explained.

"Wow," I responded. "Have you ever conducted a ritual, Towa-san? Or maybe encounters Azure?"

He smiled bitterly. "Yes, when I was 10."

I blinked at him.

"The human sacrifice was my sister. Azure is a really beautiful woman, almost like Yuki-onna but is too evil to be called a being." He continued.

I dropped my gaze to my feet. "Oh... I'm sorry. I shouldn't have asked."

"It's fine, it's fine. The past is a history and what matters is the present." He flashed a grin.

I nodded and placed the book back to the shelf. "How is the sacrifice chosen?"

"Someone who is related to you or someone who you're close to."

"Typical." Seijuurou-senpai muttered.

"Evil spirits love to torture humans, Sei. So it's not a surprise." Towa tittered.

"Why did you choose your sister, though?" I asked.

"She volunteered to since our parents were almost killed," he said and leaned against the table. "But they died soon after her."

Senpai looked away and I know what he was thinking.

"I live with my uncle now but everyone around me seems to keep dying. Even my fiancée, Kofuku." He sighed and rubbed his face.

"Towa-san, we are here for you and we won't die easily so you can count on us." I grinned and he returned the grin.

"Sure, I am now." He said.

¬.¬

Been a while since I attended school and it's really amazing how I've made no friends at all but got really close to Mamura-senpai as well as Seijuurou-senpai. It's like I'm in a harem and no girl would come and approach me.

It was morning, during assembly and I almost fell asleep if I didn't see it. From the corner of my eye, I saw, a guy with messy hair but looked like a decent man. And what made me flinch was because I saw a dead soul, a girl around his age, on the guy's shoulders. He was slightly slouching and often rubs his neck.