CASE #020

CASE #020

After lunch, Koriyama Sensei led us to a house, smaller than Senpai's, bigger than mine. "What are we doing here?" I asked.

"Foster family." She replied.

"Oh..." I trailed off then looked away, wondering. "Since when?"

The door went opened immediately when Koriyama Sensei rang the bell. A woman in her forties came rushing out, smiling. "You've arrived!" she exclaimed. I chuckled at her reaction then noticed a man standing by the door. He was watching her with amusement. I waved at him and he nodded.

"Who are you waving to, Heiwa?" Senpai spoke, approaching me out of sudden.

I pointed at the man. "Probably her husband."

He then grabbed my hand and curled his one arm around my neck, pulling me close. "Her husband died 17 years ago, darling." He whispered into my ear and only then I realized the man was 'translucent'. I looked up at him and he gave a quick peck on my forehead. He knew I would yelp so he'd covered my mouth beforehand.

"So," Koriyama Sensei announced, after a talk with the woman. "These are the students. Akashi Seijuurou and Heiwayuki Akashi." She told the woman.

The woman laughed. "Fancy having the boy's surname and the girl's first name similar, huh?"

We smiled. "This is Tanaka Minami. She's your foster Mum, okay? Behave well and I'll meet you at school." Koriyama Sensei said then left.

••••

I let out a small scream when the soul appeared on the doorway of my new room. "Is that a cockroach?" Minami called out. I stared at the man. "I'm sorry it scares you! That thing usually comes out but I'll try to get rid of it!" she continued.

"Don't mind!" I shouted. "I was just shocked."

She didn't reply. "C-can I enter?" I asked the man. He stood, not replying a single word. Then his hand reached out to me. As if on cue, I dodged and went into the room, placed my things and ran out, not caring to look back. Minami's house was huge and my room was unfortunately at the darker part. I went downstairs to the living room and sat there.

Honestly it was so awkward I really didn't know what to do. I heard giggles of small children but when I turned, no one was insight. I became scared.

"I heard she's the one Azure was looking for."

"Hey, hey. Did you hear? Azure is going to be resurrected."

"Wind has been searching for her."

"Should we report it?"

"Nah, let's play a bit more."

My teeth chattered and I turned my head to the sliding door. Two children were staring at me. Their eyes were swollen, black and almost seemed like you could get sucked into the abyss. Their clothes were torn and patched up. One boy and one girl; they looked like they could eat me anytime.

I shifted my gaze to the television. Azure? Isn't that the one Towa said he encountered years ago. Why is she looking for me? A vice-like grip grabbed my ankle and I looked down. A woman with tangled black hair, sprawled on the floor was the one who did it. She looked up and started laughing.

I screamed and kicked, trying to get off her grip. "Heiwa!" I heard Senpai's voice but the house was so quiet it made me think I was alone. Senpai was nowhere. "Senpai!" I yelled back and kept kicking. The woman was climbing my legs.