CASE #023

CASE #023

Ashes. I was left on the spot, alone. No Towa, no Mamura-senpai, no Seijuurou-senpai, no Soujirou, no Dad, no Seijuurou's dad, no Wind, no one. Azure was gone. If this is the way to break the curse, then it's futile. I can still see souls.

I clenched my fists and bit my lower lip, suppressing my tears. Where is everyone? I tried to stand but I was too exhausted. The world flipped.

-

'She moved a finger.'

I opened my eyes and saw Mamura-senpai and Towa. What happened flashed across my mind and I immediately sat up. 'Are you guys okay? How's Senpai?' I questioned.

Mamura-senpai had a few bandages on his body while Towa was bandaged on the head. 'Both of us are fine.' Mamura-senpai spoke, his voice raspy.

'Chief saved us. He took the blow.' Towa added.

'What?' I gasped.

'And Seijuurou... he wasn't sacrificed but...' Towa trailed off. Mamura-senpai stood from his seat and left the ward. I blinked and a drop of tear fell. I clutched my blanket tightly.

'He's dead?' I whispered.

Towa didn't budge. 'I'm sorry...'

I tried to inhale but I ended up sobbing. I covered my mouth and my body shook in sorrow... loneliness... and guilt. Tears rained down. 'I...' I began and Towa frowned at me. 'I didn't... get to... tell him... that... I really... really love him, too... for the last... time before he... go.'

Towa knew what I wanted. He climbed the bed and gathered me in his arms, patting my back. 'It's fine... I'm sure he knows.' He whispered. I gasped, sobbed, sniffed, and cried. I screamed, yelled, and shouted as Senpai's face appeared in my mind.

'I love... him...' I cried. 'So much...'

Something touched my back and familiar warmth engulfed me from the back. Soujirou. He was crying as well.

****

Years went by and I had to keep living. My lonely days began once again. Mum knew the situation so she was trying her best to motivate me. It hurt. 6 years later, Mamura-senpai arrived in front of my house.

Mum let him in and left us two in the living hall to discuss whatever he wanted. Mamura-senpai inhaled sharply. 'How are you doing, Heiwayuki?' he spoke.

I smiled. 'Well.'

'That's good. I'm here to offer you something. In less than a month, you'll be taking your final year exam, right?'

'Yes, why?'

'You can take the exam if you want. I'm just wondering if you'd like to join us in the Supernatural Division.'

I gasped. 'I can?'

'You'll be given special trainings since you can see souls. Maybe it'd be Towa.'

'Any requirements?'

'If you're asking about you, then your requirements have been taken into consideration.'

'I'll think about it. And also, Mamura-senpai...'

'What's it? And maybe you should stop calling me Senpai. We're not in school anymore. Mikage would be fine.' He chuckled.

I smiled slightly. 'I wonder if I could continue living. No matter how much I tried, I still can't move on. It's been 6 years.'

He lowered his gaze. 'It's not only you. I've been facing so much difficulties without Seijuurou by my side.'