6 - The Punches Keep Coming

"I'll be fine Sam, I can go alone. I just need to make sure she is okay and let her know I'm here." I said.

"What if Ross contacted her and is looking for you. She could turn you in." Sam said and I groaned.

"No she wouldn't do that and Ross wouldn't have found her. Just like this cabin, I kept her off my radar." I said.

"And if Steve gets back while you're gone?" Sam asked.

"Well he has been gone 2 days. Don't think he is coming back Sam. If on an off chance he does come back tell him I said fuck off." I said and Sam groaned as I grabbed the keys to the car that was kept in the garage. Once I was on the road into town I became hyper aware of my surroundings and who was around me. I just wanted to get to my aunts house and hold her in a hug. Once I arrived in her small neighborhood I smiled driving down the road. I pulled in the driveway to her house and something seemed off, the swing set I could see in the backyard for one. I got to the front door and rang the doorbell. A young woman carrying a child who looked to be about a year old came to the door.

"Can I help you?" She asked.

"I was looking for June Michaels. She used to live here." I said and she sighed.

"I'm sorry to be the one to tell you this but June Michaels passed away 6 months ago. I was her home health aide and she left me and my husband the house." She said and I dropped my head as my eyes filled with tears. "Are you Romy?" She asked and I nodded.

"Yeah, I was finally able to get back into town and I just arrived at the cabin and got her note." I said and she sighed.

"She wrote that note 9 maybe 10 months ago. When she found out about the cancer." This lady said and I groaned.

"God, I didn't even know..."

"She wanted to call you but didn't know how to get ahold of you. She said you had a very important job." She said and I nodded.

"I was detained...for my job...no phones in or out." I said. "Can you tell me where she is buried?" I asked.

"Of course, she is in the family plot at Holy Cross Cemetery. On Glenmount Street."

"I know where that is. Thank you." I said and she smiled.

"Can you give me one second before you go. I have something for you." She said and I nodded. She disappeared into the house, and I just waited outside. I started to get nervous maybe thinking she was calling Ross, maybe she as an agent, he found my aunt, maybe she wasn't dead. I started to panic and thought about running until she came back to the door, minus the kid but carrying 2 boxes.

"These were June's. She said if you ever came back to give them to you. You would want them." She said and I smiled at her.

"Thank you. Sorry to bug you but also thank you for taking care of her when I couldn't." I said and the lady smiled.

"She missed you, she understood but missed you." The lady said and I just gave a small smile and walked away since I was close to tears. I loaded the boxes into the car. I stopped and got some flowers and then headed to the cemetery. I knew the road to the family plot all too well. I parked and walked over to the small area of headstones.

"Hey everyone." I said and sat down to clean the weeds around the headstones. There were 4. My parents Hilary and David, my older brother Taylor who died in the attack in New York reason I went to work for the Avengers. Now Aunt June was added to them.

"I'm so sorry I haven't been by. Working for Ross and the Avengers wasn't as glamorous as I thought it would be. Been stuff on the raft prison for about a year and a half. That's why I wasn't around Aunt June. God I'm so sorry." I said and started crying.

"I love you all so much. Mom, Dad, Taylor, you guys love Aunt June for me. I can't be here long, can't be spotted out. I'm kind of on the run. I'll be back when I can." I said and got up. I blew them all a kiss and headed back to the cabin.

Once I got back, I unloaded the boxes and walked inside.

"You see your aunt?" Sam asked and then just looked at me, he could sense a problem. "Ro?" Sam asked and I started crying again.

"I'll be in my room, please don't bug me." I said and Sam sighed but nodded.

**STEVE POV**

I had been gone 4 days, a lot longer than I planned but in checked in on Nat to make sure she was okay and to get her number for my burner phone. We may have been on opposite sides of the fight but next to Bucky she was still my best friend. I put the jet down in the clearing and then took the path to the cabin. I walked in and saw Sam sitting there watching some tv.

"Welcome back." Sam said ad I sighed.

"Thanks. Where is Romy?" I asked, Sam sighed.

"She is in her room. Has been for 2 days. She went to see her aunt and found out some bad news."

"What bad news?" I asked already knowing.

"All I got out of her was her aunt died 6 months ago. She brought home 2 boxes and locked herself in her room." Sam explained and I groaned.

"Has she eaten anything?" I asked.

"Barely, I leave her food at the door and go back later and some of it is eaten but most of it is left." Sam said and I groaned. I walked into the kitchen and made a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and got a glass of milk.

"Wish me luck." I said as I headed upstairs.