23- Bucky & Romy

Steve had been gone a few days now. I was learning to be without him and raising Sarah on my own. Although I wasn't really alone. Shuri and Romanda made their presence known a lot and giving me breaks every once in a while.

News of mine and Steve's engagement had made its way around Wakanda, and everyone was constantly congratulating me. I was grateful for it, but it should be Steve and I thanking them, not just me.

I was taking an afternoon for just Sarah and me. We were out on the balcony of the palace, and she was in her bassinet sleeping as I read a book.

"There is my amazing goddaughter! I have been looking everywhere for her today!" I heard a male voice say as he approached Sarah and me. I placed a hand on her bassinet as protection. I looked up and saw someone come walking up to me. I knew who he was the minute I saw him, I had never met him, but I knew from the files when I worked at the compound, from the Captain America museum and all the stories Steve told me, this was James Buchanan Barnes.

"James?" I asked and he winced at the name.

"Bucky please..." He trailed off.

"Bucky, right." I said and he smiled at me as I stood up. "I'm-..." I went to introduce myself.

"You're Romy." Bucky interjected and I nodded with a small smile.

We just stood there, and he looked past me to Sarah.

"Can I get to my goddaughter?" Bucky asked and I looked at him oddly.

"Steve asked you to be her godfather?" I asked and he nodded.

"After she was born, he brought her to see me and asked. I thought he would have told you..." Bucky said, and I sighed.

"He probably did, things have been crazy lately." I huffed a laugh and he agreed. I moved to the side and Bucky walked over to the bassinet and picked Sarah up. She looked at him and I swore I saw her smile. Bucky sat down and just held Sarah and I smiled seeing them.

"So, Steve left a few days ago?" Bucky asked making conversation and I nodded.

"Yeah, did he come and see you before he left?" I questioned and Bucky nodded.

"He did. He told me about Ross being on the run and Tony showing up to get him, Nat and Sam to help look for him. He then asked me if I would watch out for you and Sarah while he is gone." Bucky smirked at me.

"He has everyone looking out for me and Sarah..." I trailed off.

"You're the future Mrs. Rogers and she is his daughter. He is going to want everyone to make sure you're both safe." Bucky said and I smiled while I looked at him.

"He told you he was proposing?" I asked and he nodded.

"Yeah, he talked about it before he left. He said it was time. He was scared to do it though."

"Why?!" I asked shocked.

"He thought you were going to say no, he didn't think you were going to want to be engaged and married this fast. I mean you guys have only been together about a year." Bucky said causing me to laugh.

"Yeah, we have been together for a year but in that year, we have had a child so I think things are pretty solidified that we will be together." I said and Bucky chuckled as he looked down at Sarah and I could tell he was thinking about something. "What is it Bucky?" I asked.

"Will she be a super solider?" Bucky asked with pain hinted in his voice.

I sighed and nodded.

"Most likely. When I was pregnant with her, she would kick so hard she was leaving bruises so it's pretty much a guarantee. To what extent we don't know, and Shuri said it could take a few years for everything to develop but she will most likely have somethings." I said, Bucky groaned and held her a little tighter to his chest, then looked at me.

"I will make this vow to you now Romy, I will protect Sarah with everything I have. No one will ever harm her or you for that matter. You both are under my care until Steve returns home." Bucky said and I smiled at him.

"Thank you, Bucky, but don't feel like you have to if you don't feel 100 percent." I said. Bucky just shook his head.

"There may be days I go missing because I have conditioning training still, but I will send someone to get updates on the two of you." Bucky explained.

I just sighed with a nod and looked at Sarah and how comfortable she was in Bucky's arms. I then noticed the metal arm. Bucky noticed me looking. "We can talk about it, or you can ask you know..." Bucky said, and I shook my head.

"I know what happened, I heard the stories, saw the files, went to museum and heard it all from Steve..." I listed everything and how I knew things.

"So, you know most of it except the Steve accounts..."

"I know Steve's accounts too." I laughed and Bucky shook his head.

"No, you know the stories Steve wanted you to know. Don't worry, I will tell you the truth." Bucky said and we laughed.

"Oh, I think you and I are going to have a great friendship." I said and Bucky laughed.

We sat in silence though, not an awkward silence but a comfortable silence.

"Do you think Steve will be okay?" I finally asked.

I heard Bucky sigh beside me.

"Steve will always be okay. He has you and this little princess to come back to, he will be just fine." Bucky said.

"It's just...it's Ross, he is chasing Ross." I said and Bucky sighed.

"Ross doesn't have a leg to stand on Romy, everything will be fine. Steve will come back, you will get married, and you will continue to pop out little super solider babies." Bucky said and I laughed.

"Well maybe one or two more but not my own army fleet." I said he laughed with a shrug.

"You never know." Bucky said and I smiled at him.

Again, silence but something was eating at my brain, and I had to bring it up.

"So...I did know about Nat coming down to see you a lot. How was that going?" I asked and I swear I saw Bucky blush.

"Natasha is really nice. She had been calm with me when I maybe had a bad day and even talked to me about her time in the red room. She said she thought it could help to know I'm not the only one damaged." Bucky said and I groaned.

"You aren't damaged Bucky. You had something done to you. You are coming back and trying to get better, that's all that matters." I said and Bucky gave me a small smile. We were silent again as he looked down at Sarah.

"I just want to get better for her, for Steve, for you, for everyone." Bucky said.

"Worry about getting better for you first. Everything else will fall into place." I said.

"I hope so." Bucky grumbled. I reached over and placed a hand on his non-metal arm.

"I know so." I said and he smiled at me.