26 - Have to Wait

A few days later I left Sarah with Shuri and Romanda so, Steve and I left Wakanda.

I hated leaving Sarah, but Bucky and Nat were also staying, and I knew she was in good hands.

We were on the quinjet as Steve piloted the plane, I sat in the co-pilot chair and just watched him.

"What?" Steve asked and I smiled at him.

"Just watching my amazing fiancé pilot a jet and fly us somewhere I never thought I would get to see again." I said and Steve smiled. He grabbed my left hand and kissed the back of it, close to my engagement ring.

"So now that we are alone without anyone around, do you want to plan something for the wedding? Like maybe a location?" Steve asked and I sighed.

"I don't know Steve I mean there's New York, Wakanda, Brooklyn, the cabin...so much to consider." I explained and he shook his head.

"What about the cabin? I mean we aren't planning on inviting many people, are we?" Steve asked and I shrugged.

"I wouldn't think so..." I said and he smiled.

"So, what about that field of wildflowers by the cabin? I saw it one time on a jog." Steve said and I looked at him as tears filled my eyes.

"Steve my aunt and I, when I was a kid, planted all of those. We got adventurous, went out and threw the seeds out hoping something would happen." I said and Steve smiled.

"Then I think it's the best place to get married." Steve said and I smiled with a nod.

"I think so too." I said. I leaned over and kissed Steve's cheek.

"How soon do you want to get married?" Steve asked.

"Soon...no point in waiting." I said and Steve nodded.

"I think that's a good plan. Maybe a month?" Steve asked and I nodded.

"Sounds perfect." I said.

"Okay good, so two things planned. What about the guest list?" Steve asked.

"Well Bucky is a given as is Nat and Sam. Wanda and Vision. T'Challa, Shuri and Romanda. Tony and Pepper..." I said and Steve nodded.

"Is that all?" Steve asked.

"I mean Clint, Laura and the kids could come too. I haven't seen them in while." I said and Steve nodded.

"I will get in touch with Clint soon once we plan everything then send him a jet to get them there." Steve said and I nodded.

"I think that's the perfect group of people to be there." I said and Steve nodded then looked at me upset. "What?" I asked.

"I feel bad for you, I feel bad you won't get to have your family there." Steve said and I just shrugged my shoulders.

"They will be there, in spirit." I said and Steve nodded.

"Do you think you could take me to their gravesite?" Steve asked and I nodded with a smile.

"I would love to. Maybe after we check out the cabin." I said and Steve nodded.

◼ ◼ ◼

Soon we were finishing up cleaning the cabin and getting everything in order. We needed to plan on getting the second cabin built and fast, so I was calling Tony. He knew the best contractors who knew they would need to do quality work and fast.

We finished everything we needed to do so we got in the car and headed into town. I gave Steve directions to the cemetery and where to go once inside.

We had stopped to get flowers on the way so we could leave some. Once we walked up to the headstones, we just stood there hand in hand.

"I don't know if it would be weird to introduce you to them, but I can if you would like." I said and Steve chuckled.

"Please do." Steve said.

"My parents Hilary and David-..." I pointed to their combined headstone, "My brother Tyler who was working in the hospital on the day of the attack on New York-..." I pointed, "And finally my Aunt June." I said motioning to the remaining headstone.

"Nice to meet all of you, you have an amazing daughter, sister and niece right here with me. I couldn't be happier with her in my life." Steve said and I smiled up at him as I placed my head on his upper arm. "I know this may seem unorthodox and I can't really ask for you permission to marry Romy, but I do want all of you to know I plan on making her my wife and she will be happy, loved and never want for anything in our lives together. We already have an amazing little family with Sarah, and I know we both want to add more, I hope to do that soon. I just want you all to know she is well taken care of and always will be." Steve said. I looked up at him as tears were slowly running down my cheeks. He took his free hand and wiped them away. I leaned down and placed the new flowers with the headstones.

"I miss you guys, but you don't need to worry. I'm very well taken care of, and I have Captain America watching over me now." I smirked at Steve as he huffed a laugh with a shake of his head.

We stood there for a few more minutes and then headed back to the cabin. Before we could walk inside Steve took my hand and we walked down the path to the field of wildflowers. Once we arrived Steve walked me to the center on the field. He took a hold of both of my hands as he faced me.

"I want to do it right here. Get married right here." Steve said and I smiled.

I looked around and nodded.

"I think this is perfect." I said.

"I wish someone was here right now and we could just do it. I want to be your husband, I can't wait." Steve said and I smiled, leaning up on my tiptoes and placing a gentle kiss on his lips.

"I would marry you right this minute Rogers, but I at least want our daughter here with us." I said and he smiled with a small nod.

"You're right. Looks like I'll just have to wait." Steve sighed and I giggled.

"You will be fine. It's not like I'm going to change my mind." I said and he smiled.

"I would hope not." Steve let go of my hands, wrapped his arms around my waist pulling me close as mine went around his midsection. 

"Never." I said as he leaned down and connected our lips in a passionate kiss.