19 - Staying Around for Awhile

**STEVE POV**

I sat next to her bedside wishing for her to wake up, willing her to just open her eyes.

Romy bled while giving birth and lost a lot of blood. The baby was healthy and was in the nursery. I held her already, a few times. Shuri said the connection at least with me would help. I felt like I was betraying Romy though, I wanted Romy to hold her first.

I gave Romy some of my blood without even thinking, she needed to survive. I didn't even think of the consequences her having my blood might cause her. She now had super solider blood in her. Shuri did all she could trying to remove all the serum from the blood, but she said there were some strains she couldn't remove, and she would let me know soon what Romy now had in her.

I knew for a fact she didn't have super healing since she wasn't awake yet...wake up Romy please.

"Captain?" Shuri asked quietly from the doorway to her room.

"Come in Shuri." I solemnly said not taking my eyes from Romy.

"I have the blood results for Romy. It appears I was able to remove all but one of the advancements." Shuri said.

"Do you know what it is?" I asked.

"The aging. That is so encoded into your blood that it wasn't able to be removed." Shuri explained. I sighed and nodded.

"Okay, well...that's something at least..." I trailed off. Shuri then started checking her vitals and everything.

"Why isn't she waking up Shuri?" I asked.

"She had a shock, Captain. She is still in there. We just have to will her to wake up and I think I know what will work." Shuri said with a smile and walked out of the room.

I wasn't sure what she was doing until she wheeled in a bassinet, and I saw a little baby bundled up in a pink blanket. Our daughter...

"Guess who came to see you Romy..." Shuri said in a small singsong voice. I smiled seeing the baby just sleeping, she seemed so content and happy. She had no clue what kind of world she had been born into.

"Romy, our baby girl is here..." I said and grabbed the baby from the bassinet. She seemed too tiny in my arms. Shuri assured me she was normal size for a baby, but it was me who made her seem small. I gently laid in bed beside Romy and held the baby close to her. "Come on Ro..." I whispered. Shuri walked out of the room for a minute.

I was just looking down at my daughter as she making little whimpering noises.

"You're the best thing in my life. The only thing that will ever matter to me is you." I whispered to the baby and kissed her forehead.

"What about me Rogers? Am I chopped liver now?" I heard a weak voice ask next to me and I looked over to see Romy waking up. I smiled down at her, leaning down giving her a small kiss.

"You will always be my number one Romy." I said brushing my lips against hers. Her eyes then left mine to the little pink blanket in my arms.

"Is that...?" She asked eyes filling with tears.

"Our daughter." I finished her sentence. I easily handed her over to Romy who silently cried holding her daughter.

"She's so beautiful." Romy said.

"Just like her mom." I said as Rony smiled up at me and leaned into me. Shuri knocked and came walking in, smiling seeing Romy awake.

"I knew the baby would do the trick." Shuri said. Romy and I chuckled.

"You were right." I said.

"So do we have a name for this little girl?" Shuri asked. Romy looked at me and shrugged.

"We never really talked about it, but I was wondering if we could name her after my parents. Sarah for my mom and Josephine for my father Joe?" I questioned. Romy smiled and nodded.

"I think it's perfect." Romy smiled and we just both looked at our daughter in her arms.

"Welcome to the world my little Sarah. You have so much to experience in your life." I said and Romy huffed a laugh.

"She has no idea what kind of life she is in for." Romy said and then I looked up at Shuri and she half nodded. 

We had discussed I would be the one to tell her about the blood transfusion and what happened. I took Sarah from Romy and put her back in the bassinet.

"Hey, we need to talk about something..." I said as Shuri walked back out, giving us some privacy.

"What's wrong? Is everything okay?" Romy asked concerned.

"Yeah...well...I don't know, you have to decide what you think is fine." I said taking Romy's hand but getting back in bed with her.

"Steve, you're scaring me." I said.

"Ro, when you gave birth to Sarah there was a complication. You started bleeding uncontrollably. Shuri was able to get it to stop but we had to give you a blood transfusion and they came to me first since I was here and easy." I started off explaining.

"Okay..."

"Okay well, with me having the serum in my blood we had to figure out what to do. Shuri and I both knew you wouldn't want to be a super soldier. Shuri was able to...for lack of better terms...detox my blood and take out the serum side effects except for one." I continued to explained. I saw panic on Romy's face.

"Steve, what is wrong with me?" Romy asked concerned.

"Shuri was able to get everything out of the blood except for one thing. The slow aging wasn't as easy to remove from the blood." I explained. Romy sat in silence for a minute and just thought about what she had just been told.

"So, I will be like you now? Not aging as fast and able to live a long time?" Romy asked and I nodded. She took a deep breath a blew it out. "Well then Rogers, I hope you're okay with having me around for a while." Romy said and I huffed a laugh. I leaned in to give her a kiss when Sarah started whimpering from the bassinet.

"And so, the interruptions begin..." I chuckled and walked over to get Sarah.