20 - Best Friend & Daughter

**STEVE POV**

Romy was out of the hospital wing and was back in our suite that was gifted to us by Kind T'Challa. We have a whole living area and a nursery for Sarah. Both of them had been out of the hospital for a week and Romy was sleeping when I was called away to go see Bucky. I looked in the bassinet and knew I couldn't leave Sarah since I wanted Romy to sleep.

I grabbed the baby carrier to strap to myself, this contraption was a piece of work to put on but I wanted to take her with me, I wanted Sarah to meet my best friend. Once I got the carrier on and Sarah securely strapped in I headed down to the wing where Bucky was being kept. Shuri made sure he had his own place to be so he didn't have to see a lot of people until he was ready but he knew I was here and was asking to see me.

Sarah slept while she was against me and I smiled down kissing the top of her head. She was my world, as was Romy and everything seemed to be falling into place. Romy was alive and safe, Sarah was an amazing baby and we were the happiest little family.

I met Shuri at the door to Bucky's wings and she looked in the carrier at Sarah.

"How is the baby girl today?" She asked.

"Perfect, as always." I said with a smile. "He ready to see me?" I asked pointing to the door. Shuri nodded.

"You yes, he doesn't know about her." Shuri said and I smiled.

"No better time to meet her than the present." I said and Shuri nodded. I knocked and waited for the answer.

"Come in!" The voice called out. I opened the door and smiled when I saw Bucky sitting in a chair in his room with a book in his hand, not just any book, his obsession book. The Hobbit.

"Steve..." Bucky said getting up and going up to hug his best friend then realizing the baby.

"Whose baby did you steal?!" Bucky asked in shock.

I looked at him in amazement.

"I didn't steal it! It's mine!" I quipped.

"Yours? Come on Steve don't be like Gollum, just because you like something you can't say it's yours." Bucky chuckled and I just shook my head as we sat down in his room.

"She is mine Buck, my daughter Sarah Josephine Rogers." I said unstrapping her so Bucky could see her.  He looked over at her.

"She is beautiful Steve..." Bucky said.

"Do you want to hold her?" I asked.

"Can I?" Bucky asked in shock and I nodded as I easily handed her over to Bucky. Sarah whimpered at the movement then quickly settled, quicker than with me or Romy, she would have Bucky wrapped around her finger for sure. As he held the little girl, I looked at my friend, my brother, holding my daughter and just smiled. "Where is her mother?" Bucky asked almost fearing the worst.

"Sleeping. She has been getting up with Sarah for midnight feedings, wanting the bonding time with her so I figured while she was napping, I would take Sarah and come down to see you." I explained.

"Well, that was very husbandly and fatherly of you."

"Woah! Fatherly yes, husbandly no...her mother and I aren't married." I said.

Bucky looked at me in a slight shock.

"I'm a little surprised. I'm not saying I thought you were an innocent little schoolboy, but I would have thought you would have wanted marriage before you had a kid with someone." Bucky explained.

"And usually that's how it would have been but Romy and I -..."

"Romy?! The girl you asked about before I went under?" Bucky asked and I nodded.

"Yeah, she is Sarah's mother." I said.

"Well, you got the girl." Bucky smiled and I nodded.

"I did. I want to get married to her eventually and have a family but until the threat of Ross is gone..." I trailed off.

"What is the news on that?" Bucky asked and I sighed.

"Reason we are here. He was getting too close." I said and Bucky groaned. Sarah started to whimper in his arms, and I went to grab her, but Bucky readjusted, and she was fine.

"You know you have to give her back eventually..." I smirked.

"Says who? You?" Bucky chuckled.

"And her mother." I said and he sighed.

"Alright only for Romy." Bucky smirked.

"I want you to eventually meet Romy. She is everything to me Bucky."

"And I want to meet her, but I just want to make sure I'm fully myself again before I do. I want her to have a good impression." Bucky said and I sighed.

"Do you feel like the conditioning they are doing is working?" I asked and Bucky nodded.

"Oh yeah, it's working perfectly fine, but I just don't want something to happen and be meeting her and I slip or something." Bucky said and I sighed.

"Bucky she will want to meet you soon. She knew when he was giving birth that you were coming out of cryo." I said and Bucky sighed.

"Yeah, I heard there were complications." Bucky said and I sighed but nodded.

"Yeah, she lost a lot of blood. I gave her some of mine..."

"But yours...?"

"Yeah, mine has the serum. Shuri was able to go through it and remove mostly everything." I explained.

"Mostly everything? What was left?" Bucky asked.

"The aging. She will age slower..." I said and then gave a smirk. "Which call me selfish, but I like that she will now. She will be around with me for a long time." I said and Bucky smiled.

"Meant to be Steve." Bucky said.

There was a knock on the door, and we looked at Shuri as she came walking in.

"James, it's time for your conditioning and Romy is awake wanting her baby back."

We chuckled and Bucy looked down at Sarah and kissed her forehead.

"See you soon little girl." Bucky said and handed her back to me.

"I almost forgot. I was tasked with finding her a god father and I was hoping you would want the job?" I asked and Bucky nodded.

"I would be honored." Bucky said as we hugged doing our best not to squish Sarah. I hooked her back into the carrier and walked out before Shuri and Bucky left.

I walked back down to our suite and found Romy sitting in a chair on our balcony.

"Hey, I thought you would sleep a little longer." I said kissing her cheek as I walked out to join her. She reached for Sarah, and I unhooked her, handing the perfect little girl to her perfect mother.

"It was too quiet." Romy said and I chuckled.

We were silent as we sat together, and I reached for Romy's hand. She Set Srah in the crock of her one arm and then grabbed my hand with the other.

"I went and saw Bucky today." I spoke up.

Romy looked at me in shock.

"How was he?" Romy asked concerned.

"He is great. He said the conditioning is going well. He wants to meet you but wants to get a little bit better before he does. It's just who he is." I explained.

"But he met Sarah." Romy smiled.

"He did and he loves her. She also now has a godfather." I said and Romy smiled.

"Nat as godmother and Bucky as her godfather, perfect pairing right there." Romy said and winked at me. I laughed bringing the back of her hand to my lips and laid a kiss on it. I noticed I was holding her left hand and I imagined her having a ring on that left ring finger, making her mine, making her Romy Rogers.

Right then and there I made a promise to myself: Once this was all over, one the threat of Ross was gone. I would make Romy my wife.