25 - Perfect Little Family

I woke up the next morning in bed alone and I started to think that maybe Steve coming home had been all a dream except I knew I was naked and there was a pain between my legs from the few times Steve and I had woken up through the night to have another round of sex. We had a lot of time to make up for.

I got up out of bed, took a quick shower then got dressed for the day in a simple sundress. As I was slipping on shoes the bedroom door opened and Sarah came toddling in.

"Mama!" She said excitedly seeing me.

"Hello my little princess." I said and she handed me the piece of paper she was holding. I picked her up and took the paper from her.

-What do you say to a little brunch on the balcony with me and our amazing daughter?
Love, Steve-

I smiled and kissed Sarah's cheek and then we went walking out the balcony where I saw Steve leaning on it looking out at the lands. I just stopped to admire him for a moment. He looked like he was thinking of something and like he was relaxed.

"You're staring." Steve said and I laughed.

"I am and I'm not even sorry." I said and he laughed. I put Sarah in her highchair and then walked over to Steve.

"Happy to be home?" I asked. He wrapped his arms around my waist pulling me close to him.

"I'm happy to be here with you and Sarah but I don't know if Wakanda will ever feel like home." Steve said and I sighed.

"It's been a good home for me all of this time." I said and he nodded.

"Yeah, and I like the safety of it for all of us but now with Ross gone..." Steve trailed off.

"With Ross gone, we could have a life outside of barriers." I said and Steve nodded.

He leaned down and gave me a small kiss and I smiled once we broke apart. He then looked at Sarah in her highchair and smiled.

"She is perfect Romy. You did amazing without me." Steve said and I shook my head.

"I had a lot of help from Bucky. She was his saving grace." I said.

"And now his girlfriend." Steve said and I laughed.

"Well yeah..." I said and he shook his head with a smile.

"I saw him this morning when he saw me gathering everything. He asked where his girlfriend was. At first, I thought he meant Nat or something but then he said Sarah." Steve said and I laughed.

"Yeah, she is attached to Bucky when he is around. If we do leave Wakanda we need to figure it out so Bucky can go with us." I said and Steve nodded.

"Well that got me to thinking. Your cabin, I checked it out on the way back, it's still in really good shape. Who owns the land a few acres away?" Steve asked.

"I do. It's all my families." I said and Steve smirked. "Why?" I asked.

"Well, I think I want to raise Sarah...maybe another baby or two there..." Steve said shooting me a glance.

"Subtle." We laughed.

"Anyway, I want Bucky and Nat to go with us, what if we put another house on the land. That way we are all together but not too close." Steve suggested.

"Have you brought this up to Nat or Bucky?" I asked.

"No, I wanted to talk to you first."

"What about Sam?" I asked.

"He is going back to his sisters." Sam said and I nodded.

"I mean if we could get another house built, I would like to have Bucky and Nat around too. I mean I got used to being with people." I said and Steve nodded.

"Well then we will get working on that." Steve said as he took my hand and we I went to head to the table, but he stopped me. I turned and looked at him.

"Steve...everything okay?" I asked and he shook his head.

"No, it's not. When I left this place a year and a half ago, I asked you a question. I asked you to marry me..."

"And I said yes." I smiled. Steve just shook his head.

"That isn't how I should have asked you Romy. You deserve something more special them me asking you before I'm about to get on a jet and fly off. What you deserve is this..." Steve got down on one knee and pulled out a ring box opening it up. "Romy, when I woke up from the ice and knew everything had changed but the one thing, I was unsure of was where my life would go. Then I met you working at the compound, and I felt like home. You were always there for me and always what I wanted in this new life. Then you were taken away, I had no clue what happened but when I saw you on the raft, I knew I had to get you out too. Now running was pretty intense and insane but in that time, I fell in love with you Romy, you became everything I ever wanted again. We belong together, we will be together forever with Sarah and whoever else might come along...I want it all with you Romy. So now I ask you properly with a ring and all. Will you marry me?" Steve asked. I had tears flowing down my cheeks. I couldn't even hold myself up anymore, my knees gave out and I was face to face with Steve.

 I couldn't even hold myself up anymore, my knees gave out and I was face to face with Steve

"Yes, yes, I will marry you. It was never anything else but you Rogers. Whether you were the Steve from the compound or Nomad on the run, it was always yes." I spoke barely above a whisper since I didn't trust my voice not to crack from the sobs. Steve cupped my face and passionately kissed me.

When we broke apart, he slid the ring on my ring finger. I looked down at it and saw the vintage look to it.

"It was my mothers and my grandmothers. I had it in a safety deposit box in Brooklyn that I stopped by on the way back. It only belongs on your finger." Steve said as I pulled him into another passionate kiss. We broke apart when we heard Sarah laughing and clapping.

We laughed and stood up. Steve picked her up from the highchair and he looked at her and then me.

"The perfect little family." He said.

"Well maybe we can add one or two more..." I said and Steve smiled.

"I think we can work on that." Steve said and we smiled as we then went to sit down and get some food in our systems to be ready and prepared for a day of telling everyone our plans.