7 - She Has Us

I was sitting leaning back on the headboard and sighed looking at old family photos. That's mostly what was in the boxes, a few knick knacks but mostly photos. I was wiping away tears when there was a knock on the door.

"Leave the food Sam, I will get eat when I feel like it." I said. The door just opened then and I saw Steve standing there with a sandwich and a glass of milk.

"Not Sam and not leaving the food." Steve said.

"You're back?!" I said surprised.

"Just got back, Sam told me what happened. I came to bring you something to eat and it's also like a peace offering for what happened before I left." Steve said and I looked at him shocked as he shut the bedroom door.

"You think a peanut butter and jelly sandwich with a glass of milk is a peace offering?" I asked as we both gave a small laugh.

"It's crunchy peanut butter and grape jelly." Steve said and I groaned. He knew what my favorite was from a time he saw me eating at the compound.

"You don't play fair Rogers." I said and he smiled. I moved over on the bed, and he joined me leaning on the headboard like me. I took half the sandwich and gave Steve the other half.

"You okay?" Steve asked and I shrugged.

"I mean excited to go see my aunt and then I find out I have to go to a cemetery where the rest of my family is buried to see her." I said and Steve just looked at me oddly.

"I never heard you talk about your family before." Steve said and I sighed.

"Because they are all in the cemetery. My grandparents I never knew, gone before I was born. My parents died right before the attack in New York, car accident. My brother died in the attack on New York. He was a male nurse and was trying to get children out of the children's ward to safety. Alien crashed through the building, and he pushed 3 kids out of the way and let it take him out -..." I trailed off and Steve hung his head.

"Romy..."

"No, it's okay. He died a hero, that's how I see it." I said and Steve nodded.

"What about your aunt, when did she die?" Steve asked.

"Six months ago, she got cancer." I said and Steve cussed under his breath. I finished my half of the sandwich and continued looked at photos. Steve looked at me and I explained to him about all of them and who everyone was. We finally got to me in some horrendous ballgown and sash, Steve started laughing as did I.

"What in the hell are you wearing?" Steve asked.

"Excuse you! I was Miss Teen New York!" I said and Steve laughed as we still looked at it.

"Mom talked me into doing a beauty pageant. I didn't want to. She said it would be a good way to get a scholarship for college." I said and Steve half nodded.

"Did you win?" Steve asked and I flipped to the next picture of me wearing a tiara.

"What do you think?" I asked and Steve looked at me and waggled his eyebrows.

"So, we are here with a beauty queen?" Steve asked and I laughed.

"Yes, so you better shape up Cap. Learn how to treat a beauty queen." I said and Steve laughed.

We continued to look at photos and talk about them.

**STEVE POV**

I wasn't sure when it happened but while we were looking at photos Romy cuddled into my side, and I soon heard her softly snoring. I smiled at this, I knew by looking at her she hadn't been sleeping well. I saw the book sitting on her nightstand and smiled seeing it was The Hobbit, Bucky was obsessed with the Hobbit. I started reading it since I couldn't move. I heard a small knock on the open bedroom door, and I looked up to see Sam and he saw Romy sleeping.

"You get her to eat?" Sam asked in a whisper, and I nodded.

"Only half the sandwich but we will work up to more." I said and Sam nodded.

"When did she fall asleep?" Sam asked.

"About half an hour ago. I'm just letting her sleep." I said.

"She tell you anything?" Sam asked.

"A little about her family. He parents died in a car accident and her brother died in the attack on New York..." I said and Sam shook his head.

"Damn."

"Yeah." I said.

"And her aunt?" Sam asked.

"Six months ago, cancer." I replied.

"So, she really has no one left..." Sam trailed off.

"Wrong, she has us." I said. Sam smiled and left the doorway. I looked down at Romy and sighed. "You got me. I will never leave you." Steve said and kissed the top of Romy's head. She stirred in her sleep and I just want back to reading while she cuddled into my side a little more.

Nomad Love ⭐️On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara