24 - Meant To Be

**A YEAR AND A HALF LATER**

I was standing out in the field with Sarah and Bucky as he was showing her the goats. Sarah was almost 2 years old, and she was on the move. Walking, talking, starting to run but wouldn't make it very far and was very independent, but when Uncle Bucky was around, she acted like a damsel in distress and refused to do anything. She had him wrapped around her little finger.

Steve had been gone the whole year and a half with the team trying to find Ross, it was becoming impossible. He may not have had many resources but what he did have he seemed to be using them well. I missed Steve, I wanted him home with us, but I also wanted everything with Ross to be over.

"No!" I heard Sarah yell pulling me from my thoughts and I saw Bucky standing there feeding a goat and Sarah was panicking. I didn't know why, I knew she loved goats.

"Mama!" Sarah yelled for me, and I walked over to her and Bucky.

"What is wrong little miss?" I asked placing my hands on my hips and she looked at me.

"GOATS!" She screamed and I nodded.

"I know, can you explain to me why we don't like goats now?" I asked and she reached for the hay in Bucky's hand, and it hit both of us what she wanted. Bucky gave her hay, and she started feeding the one goat.

I just watched her in Bucky's arms and smiled. In the year and a half since Steve was gone and Bucky had been around every day to be there for Sarah. He even admitted to me one night when we were all having dinner that Sarah had been a huge help in his recovery process. He knew he would have to be better to help her and watch her grow so he worked really hard on his recovery.

"You're doing it again..." Bucky said.

"What?" I asked.

"Staring. You always look at me that way when I have Sarah." Bucky said and I smiled.

"Well, she is happy with you." I said and Bucky smiled.

"And I'm happy spending time with her, and you too." Bucky said and I smiled. I then just looked down at the ground.

"She is going to be 2 soon and I don't even know if Steve will be here. He is missing everything. If I had known this mission was going to be like this..." I trailed off.

"No one knew and it's not like he can just call and let people know what's happens. I know T'Challa has been tracking the jet and the tracker in Steve's suit, so we have tabs on him but other than that we just have to wait. He is doing this partly for you." Bucky said causing me to groan.

"Yeah, yeah..." I rolled my eyes. "I mean it was for him too. Ross was chasing him as well. Ross was chasing all of them. I'm just worried I mean when Steve gets back will she even know it's her father?" I asked and Bucky smiled.

"Of course she will, you show her his picture and we tell her stories about him. She will know." Bucky said and I smirked at him and just half nodded.

As Sarah was finishing feeding the goats I heard something uncommon, and I looked up in the sky to the border of the barrier.

"What's that?" I asked as Bucky held Sarah closer to him but moved directly to my side in case of a threat.

"I don't know, let's get back to the palace." Bucky said and I nodded as we walked back to the palace and as we arrived Shuri met us and smiled at us.

"How was your morning with the goats miss Sarah?" Shuri asked and she smiled.

She then made a goat noise making us all laugh.