Chapter 1 - Return

The gentle patter of rain hit the vintage windows of the closing museum. Marble steps ascend to carved columns intricately depicting biblical storylines from top to bottom—a freshly polished shine coated every step, guiding visitors within the walls. Neatly dusted and sorted, the front desk had a single attendant who actively watched the security cameras. A sign above this desk read prices corresponding to different days of the week, freshly painted. Warm orange light glowed from the desk lamp, matching the setting sun outside as the clock ticks away each minute.

Every artefact was well kept, maintaining the long history behind it, too precious to mistreat in any manner. East and West, this single institute held wonders from all over, all highly guarded every hour of every day. Motion alarms, invisible lasers, audio and visual cameras without a single possible blind spot and a complete lockdown system all to prevent thieves from escaping the building.

Despite being slightly overwhelming, it was necessary to combat the heist attempts at the very start of its instalment. After a multitude of pitiful attempts, the word was spread, and it was made clear:

The Morningstar Museum was off-limits.

The hellish screams had started to increase as the night went on, hundreds of sinners going about their nightly routines.

Your heels clicked in a constant rhythm down the halls, almost a warning siren for your employees. Sinners and Hellborns straighten their postures, carrying about their task more hurriedly.

Eventually, the exit came into sight. You stand at the keypad, inputting your code and key, one part of the intricate and lengthy closing procedure. "Thank you for closing up, Cecilia," you place your keys back in your pockets, giving the attendant a curt wave. As per usual, her tail waved in response as her head kept down, writing up reports.

Turning down towards the main streets of Pentagon City, advertisements started to grow in number, surrounded by entranced sinners. "Pity Party Princess still out and about? Stay tuned for this shit show!" Katy Killjoy's cackle was unmistakable as you passed a Vox Television outlet store.

"Oh, Charlie," your eyes stay fixed on the screen. Charlie, Lucifer's daughter, the princess of Hell and the sweetest girl you have ever met. Since the day you landed in Hell, she was a bright light in a dark room, never failing to cheer you up. That was back in 1935, and it hasn't changed.

Never in your lifetime, or afterlife, did you expect to end up in hell. In all fairness, that was a mindset many sinners held, but out of all the fish in the sea, how did you end up in a net of sharks?

It came down to a single decision, one that potentially determined the rest of your existence.

An archangel blade.

In life, you were a curator for museums as well as private collectors. The latter would end up being your downfall. But that story was for another day; for now, you were due to visit the princess. Besides, she wasn't aware you had returned from your trip above the surface yet.

You hurry down the road into a busier district, raising your hand to hail the cleanest taxi. Closing the door, your eyes flicker a dangerous glow, "I'll tip you double if you drive sensibly," you hand over a wad of cash to the driver, who gleams.

"Say less," he salutes, driving off at a reasonable speed.

~~~

The hotel was a towering giant with a multitude of curious aspects sticking out from the main building. Above it all, the glowing red room near the roof caught your eyes like a moth to a flame.

After using a simple spell, your clothing morphed into something more comfortable and familiar to the slightly attached princess. Two knocks on the door soon echoed against the interior, wood squeaking beneath the small steps of an oncoming greeter. The door was pulled ajar, yet no one was there. At least you thought so.

"Yes?" a voice calls out, making you look down.

"Oh," you step back in surprise at the Cyclops demon in front of you, "sorry, I didn't... sorry,"

"No worries!" She seemed hyper, each word flowing from her mouth in a constant stream. "Welcome to the Happy Hotel! Are you staying with us? You are staying with us, right?"

"Uhm, well, actually, no..."

"Okay!" The moment 'no' was heard, the door was slammed shut, followed by some muffled talking. You awkwardly look around, tipping back and forth on your heels. "I'm back!" The small cyclops returned, nearly prying the door off its hinges.

"Yes, I'm here to see Charlie?" You nearly let out a confused laugh as she walked away, almost with a ten-yard stare.

"Hi, sorry, I'm Char- Y/n??" The sparkle-eyed look made your face break out with a smile. "You're back!"

"And guess how surprised I was to find out you're a hotel owner from your father," you hold your arms open, awaiting a much-needed hug. "It's so good to see you again, kiddo,"

"When did you get back??" She could hardly contain her excitement, cheeks straining from all the smiling.

"A little over a month ago? Sorry for not calling sooner, sunshine," you pinch her cheek quickly, feeling a few eyes now focused on you. "Aren't you going to introduce me?"

"Oh! Yes, of course," she drags you towards a few people, all but one you hadn't met. "We have one person missing, but here we have Nifty, Husk, Angel and Sir Pentious! Oh, and Vaggie, duh," she links arms with her girlfriend.

Nifty was the Cyclops demon you had first encountered, her eyes still as broad, causing you to wonder if she ever blinked. Next, Husk was stood at a bar, seemingly disinterested as he tipped his glass bottle up and back. He was dressed, large red wings almost incapsulating him. Angel was a face you recognised from the television and billboards, but for obvious reasons, the channel he appeared on wasn't one you frequented. Finally was Sir Pentious, a snake demon with a tall, one-eyed top hat. You could only slightly recall him from Sunday papers in the 'minor city crimes' section.

"Everyone, this is Y/n. She's a close family friend, practically my aunt," she nudges, hugging you from the side.

"Practically," you teasingly roll your eyes. "Now, I'm sure I'll meet this mystery person later in the evening, so... how about a quick tour-?"

The air nearly knocked out your lungs as Charlie harshly tugged you, "You're going to love it here!"

~~~

Long time since I've written one of these! Sorry if they're all a little OOC

- Anna ❤️