Chapter 15 - Palace on the hill

You rummage in your bag for your phone while holding onto Alastor's shadow, not paying attention to the group. A wolf whistle rings out in the gentle chatter, causing it to cease and direct all eyes to you.

"Lookin' good, Y/n!" Angel was bent over the bar, grinning ear to ear.

"Woah," Charlie gasps, running up to you, "where did you get this dress?? It's so pretty!" She immediately feels the soft fabric of the gloves.

"I must say you look quite beautiful, Y/n," Pentious notes politely.

"Aw, thank you, Pentious, that's very kind," you smile at him sincerely before handing Charlie Rosie's card, "who better to go to? She says you haven't called her in a while," you tell her off jokingly.

Rotting heartstrings tugged roughly in Alastor's chest, eyes trained on you and you alone. But his smile didn't widen; no, it softened into one of disbelief. From head to toe, his eyes roamed as if it was the first time all over again. With every second passing by, you still never failed to leave him a complete mess.

That deep maroon flowing over your body almost drove him mad, the grip on his microphone speaking louder than his words ever could. You were a scarlet ruby amongst the rubble, a treasure he so desperately needed. A weakness to outdo all others. You were his Achilles heel, and the nervous pounding in his chest only added to his argument.

He wanted you.

He needed you.

"Got anything to add, Smiles?" Angel interrupts his trailing thoughts.

"Hm? Oh, well, of course I do; what type of man would I be if I didn't acknowledge how absolutely breathtaking you look," he says with a cheery tone, holding his hand out to you as his shadow quickly tossed Pentious against the wall.

"Rough," Angel cringes, watching Pentious slump before turning to see Alastor easily distracting you with small talk and the kind gesture of holding the door open for you.

"I bet you if we stayed here all night, they wouldn't notice us missing," Vaggie comments under her breath.

"Don't ruin the moment," Charlie tugs her by the arm and out the door with a playful smile.

~~~

Just on the outskirts of Pentagram city, the Royal palace sat perched upon a hill, almost like the hotel was. The cobblestone road led cars past a large set of gates, iron bars twisting like thorned rose bushes. At its heart was a fountain, the Morningstar crest carved into stone and illuminated by the spotlights below the pool of water.

The castle rises in tiers, each floor reflecting heavenly architecture, adorned with intricate carvings and regal embellishments. Everyone marvels at the sight, captivated by the sight of the castle's silhouette against the crimson sky, while the fountain's gentle murmur provides a soothing backdrop to the scene.

"Alright, what the fuck?" Angel presses his face against the window, "This shit is straight out of some fairytale!"

"Yes, it's quite-" you suddenly trail off, seeing a few silhouettes in the ballroom.

"What's wrong, my dear?" Alastor catches your look of uncertainty, taking your hand in his.

"Oh, nothing," you give him a sweet smile. "I'm just hoping Lucifer made some apple pie for dessert. It's to die for!"

"He does make a pretty good apple pie," Charlie confirms, "oh, remember when he made a duck-shaped pie for my birthday?"

You gleam at the memory, "He had been planning it for months. It was the sweetest thing!" the car soon arrived at the foot of the palace, and the usual imp butler stood waiting at the front. Something in your gut told you there was something wrong, but it couldn't pinpoint what. Was Lilith back? Was Adam around? The list in the imp's hand certainly didn't help.