Chapter 7 - Rosie

Alastor ended up guiding the trolley as you piled a few things into it. Just enough to last a few weeks. Of course, with everyone in the hotel, you at least hoped for one week. You were a lot more used to the shopping-for-one situation you often had, never thinking you'd have to shop for eight or so. It really just depended on whether or not the Eggs trusted you... or ate.

"So, Mr Radio Demon," you wonder aloud, catching his instant attention, "I mean, you were the talk of the town after your death... and when the police said you were the one responsible for all those killings,"

A prideful look graced his features, "I always wondered if they ever did figure it out," he glanced at you, "I'm assuming you have feelings regarding the news?"

You laugh shortly, "I felt bad," a box of cookies was placed in the cart, "I think you being gone upset me more than finding out all that other stuff... does that make me a bad person?"

"What makes a person bad?" His curiosity struck, "What made you bad enough to wind up here?"

"Oh, Alastor, dear, you know better than to ask a lady that," you lightly slap his arm with a laugh.

Alastor tilts his head as you take over and push the cart away in a hurry. "Very well," he places both hands behind his back, following you through the spices section. "If it is any consolation, my dear, I am sorry for causing you any grief,"

You furrow your brows, "You have nothing to be sorry about, Al; I'm just glad we finally found each other," you place a hand on his arm, giving him a gentle squeeze.

"I will always find my way back to you, Y/n," he guides your hand to his lips and gives it a small kiss. This moment you shared, despite its minuscule span, was all you didn't know you needed from him. Then, the guilt bubbled up inside him again. "You mentioned earlier that you hardly saw me at my prime... did you really feel such a way?"

His sudden question took you by surprise. "Well... with all your interviews, shows and parties, it was difficult to get a hold of you at times," you weren't going to lie to him; god knows he'd catch it instantly. "But don't see that as a bad thing, Alastor. You did such wonderful things, and I was- am so proud of you,"

His smile couldn't get any wider; a small squeeze was given, "Thank you, ma biche," after a shared gentle silence, even within the linoleum aisles you both stood in, the sound of cans falling from a shelf snaps you both out of it. "Word is you own the Morningstar Museum," he changes the subject, directing you to the deli before you could notice the fluster he was starting to present.

"Manage is a better term," you poke his shoulder, letting him view today's gruesome selection. "I'm surprised you never visited,"

"Ah, well, with work and all," he mutters dismissively, radio static growing quietly, "but I would be delighted to visit the next time you plan to head on over," Alastor chuckles, soon asking the butcher for a pound of venison.

"Oh, trust me, Al, it will be a lot less tedious when I'm not doing my duties," you scratch the back of your neck. "I can be a tad bit... overbearing at work,"

He places the meat into the cart, a mind-boggled look on his face, "you? Overbearing? What absolute nonsense!" he takes your hand and pats it, "You're an absolute sweetheart,"

"Oh, isn't this just a delight!" A woman's voice could be heard from down the aisle. "Is that you, Alastor?"

Alastor turned around, "Rosie!" he gave a friendly wave as you peered around to catch sight of the newcomer. Her modest and elegant style spoke volumes as she made her way over with the warmest smile. "What a surprise to see you!"

"Me? A surprise in my part of town? Come now, Alastor, Darling, you're talking nonsense," she gives him a big hug, "never thought I'd see you doing a day-to-day errand like this," she adjusts her hold on her umbrella, looking over at you, "and who's this stunning gal you've got? She looks exactly like your type- Though, with you, who knows what you're into,"

Alastor blinks blankly at her, mouth agape in confusion. "Y/n, this is my good friend, Rosie," he quickly introduces, "Rosie, this is Y/n, one of my-"

"Oh my stars, this is the Y/n??" She was quick to take hold of your face, admiring your every feature, "you did her no justice," she asks at him, "you know, he absolutely cannot shut up about-"

"Thank you, Rosie!" Alastor pulls her away from you, laughing quite loudly to cover the rest of the words. "We should be on our way, yes?" he looks at a slightly frazzled you.

"Always stopping my fun," Rosie sighs, resting on her palm, "you should absolutely come over for some girl time, you know? Any time you need a break from Mr Mystery here... though from the sounds of it, you know much more than-"

"Alright, we'll be off now!" Alastor grabs your arm and starts to drag you away while you give Rosie a quick wave.

"Call me anytime, darling!" She winks your way, giving a hearty laugh as she carries on shopping. As you carry on with your business, you feel a new item in your pocket, taking it out to reveal Rosie's card tucked in.

~~~

A daring thought indeed. If anything, your precise execution of your work only grew more ruthless with Hell's environment. Earth was as civil as Heaven compared to Pentagram City; with thieves in the night, dealers and black-market buyers, you had to bite, scratch and punch to make the museum what it is today.

Lucifer had little faith, as much as he denied it. The Museum had been running for thousands of years, ruined and filled with grime. It was unfit and much below your standards.

With an iron fist, you made a reputation in the black markets, making sure not a word ever surfaced, let alone to Charlie, who was much too young to view your tactics. Lucifer, however, viewed from a fearful distance, always helping you when needed.

Despite this, Charlie had heard rumours from her classmates at the time, only to be assured they were exaggerated fictions created by teens. Just a tiny white lie would do more good than harm, right?

Wrapping your coat tight around your body, you hurry to meet Alastor at the front door, a nervous tinge in your chest. He stood there in his usual attire, talking to Charlie.

Oh dear.

"Hey, Y/n!" She waves, "Alastor was just saying how you were heading to the museum,"

"Yes, just another boring, very boring day at work," you laugh awkwardly.

"Aw, I'm sure it isn't that boring," she nudges, "But I was just thinking if we could all come with you too? As an excursion,"

"Excuse me?" You blurt out in time with Alastor, whose static radio crackle fell, and his usual voice emitted pure confusion.

"Well, yeah! It would be a great opportunity for some redemption lesson... I'll think of it soon," she assures, "Plus, it seems we're all in a little need of an outing,"

You blink blankly before forcing a smile, "sounds absolutely darling," you pat her head before hurrying out the door.

~~~

WOMP

WOMP

- Anna ❤️