Chapter 16 - Business or boredom?

Niffty stood by your side as you ordered the drinks from the eccentric bartender. Her eyes scoured the crowd, tugging on your dress when two figures approached.

"Two cosmos," one demon asks while the other types away at her phone. Now, it wasn't like you lived under a rock; of course, you knew who the V's were. They certainly knew who you were, too. Run-ins were almost unavoidable, especially in the black market.

"I'm surprised to see you two here," you comment, causing both to dart their eyes your way.

"Oh, it's just you," Velvette mumbles.

"Why, Y/n, long time no see!" His eyes widen in delight. "How've you been? Stunning as always,"

"Suck up," Velvette coughs.

"Shut up." He hisses to her.

"Niffty? How about you go back to the group? I'll catch up soon," you usher her away, sipping at your drink.

"Okay!" She scurries off with her drink, leaving you to turn back to Vox.

~~~

"Niffty? Where is Y/n?" Charlie looks around in case you were struggling to keep up with her.

"With the TV guy and his friend," she chirps, chugging her sugary drink. "She said I should just come back here,"

Alastor was the first person everyone glanced at. It wasn't a secret that Alastor and Vox were rivals, especially when Alastor so obviously disliked modern media. When the crowd parted ways just enough to catch sight of the bar, it seemed the group felt impending doom brewing.

"So tell me, what are you two doing here? Business or boredom? It's only ever one of the two," your tone was blunt, which always amused Velvette. She knew better than anyone that Vox only sucked up to you after finding out just how advanced the museum's security was.

"Pleasure," he takes your hand and kisses it gently.

A radio static started to grow, rumbling and buzzing around the small corner the group situated themselves in. "Uh, boss?" Husk suddenly straightens his posture, "you feeling okay?"

"I'm fine." His voice distorts beyond any way they've ever heard. Even when Angel pushed his flirting too far, Pentious accidentally broke his microphone and especially when Husk commented on his deal, it all looked like child's play compared to the murderous look in his eyes right now. "Excuse me,"

"Any bets on what Mr Flatscreen's blood'll look like?" Angel comments once Alastor returns to his usual form and proceeds your way.

"Funny. If it's business, then I suppose the timing is ideal," your hand extends, and a blue flame appears. "Call this a cease and desist. I've heard about your new attempts at Angel security similar to my own," a letter manifests, folded neatly for him.

"I have no idea what you're talking about," his laughter distorts as he reads it through.

"Don't act stupid, Vox; it only makes you look more pathetic," you finish your drink, holding the stem of the glass tight, "shut it down before I do it myself."

"Shut what down?" Alastor suddenly chimes from beside you three.

"Oh, this just got interesting," Velvette hits record on her phone.

"Alastor!" You were caught off guard, the neck of the glass snapping in your grip. Noticing this instantly, you quickly toss the glass behind the bar.

In contrast, Vox's face fell into immediate irritation, "Alastor?"

"Pardon my interruption, but I was wondering where you'd run off to," he sips at his whiskey with a dismissive glance at Vox.

"Uh, you two know each other?" Vox points between you and Alastor.

"Not that it's any of your business, but yes, quite well," he looks smugly at the TV demon. "And since you're not doing anything worthwhile, shall we rejoin the others?" Alastor looks back at you.

"Actually, we were in the middle of business," Vox retorts.

"And what business could Y/n have with a mediocre video podcast?" He places a hand on your waist, pulling you a little further from Vox. "I doubt there's any benefit to pursuing relations with someone of such low quality,"

His screen flashes red, almost glitching at every insult. Suddenly, he switches back to normal and crushes the letter in his hand, "It's nice to see you again, Y/n... Radio Prick," he directs the last part harshly at Alastor before walking away.

"Lovely," Alastor grits under his breath. "Please tell me he was joking,"

"I think he mistook what I said," you explain, "he's interested in the Museum's security; I told him he can't pursue any further,"

He walks you back to the group, "If you ever need my help, my dear, don't hesitate to ask,"

You squeeze his arm gently. "And vice versa,"

~~~

The night went along relatively smoothly. Besides a few hiccups running into the V's and even Paimon at one point, the event was somewhat civil. While you chat with Rosie, who turned up just a little bit later after short notice from Alastor, who opted to talk with Zestiel.

"Why art thou not dancing the night away with thine lover?" The ancient overlord inquires, making Alastor's head snap up.

"Lover? You're mistaken," he shakes his head, "Why Y/n is but a mere friend,"

Zestiel's laugh was short and knowing, "Ah, thine heart spoke truth faster than thine mind could lie,"

"Pray tell what you mean by that," Alastor sips at his whiskey.

"I never specified a name," he walks away to converse with Camilla as Alastor abruptly chokes on his drink.

"Oh, doll, he can't keep his eyes off of ya!" Rosie giggles, spotting Alastor avert his eyes when you look back. "I'm surprised he hasn't asked ya to dance yet,"

"It's been a while since we've danced together, Rosie," you wave your hand, "there's no rush,"

"Hm," she folds her arms, "I beg to differ; I know that look in your eyes," Rosie pokes your nose, "he promised you a dance, but ya never got it..."

"It's just a dance," you wave a hand, unnerved by her accuracy.

"It meant a lot more to you than that," she then looks over your shoulder and waves Alastor over. "I've got to go talk to old Zestiel there; I think it's time you two got a little closer,"

"Aren't you a saint," you mumble sarcastically.

"Let's all have lunch sometime," she sways her hip to bump Alastor's, "go get her, tiger,"

He gives a short warning glare only to be met with a snicker and smug sashay. "I hope she didn't pry at you too much,"

"Rosie? Pry? Never," you joke, "I thought you would have burst into song by now,"

"Not exactly my crowd," he shrugs, "this is the scum of the earth, my dear. These Hell-ians claw and climb to the top like savages. I prefer more civil company,"

"I'm flattered, I suppose," you both share an amused smile. "Would you like to see something?"

"Depends what it is," he places his glass down. "Interesting?"

"Spectacular," grabbing his hand, the tug was urgent but gentle.

~~~

Vox, my beloved <3

Vox, my beloved <3

- Anna ❤️