Chapter 19 - Fireflies and butterflies

Sunlight never shon in the wetlands extending Alastor's room, only an everlasting night. Fireflies thrived in the ecosystem mimicking that of Louisiana flora and fauna. Amidst the dropping temperatures, fog had started to haze the distant trees and overhang.

Due to this, you were at a lost for what time it truly was. And as much as you adored Alastor's keenness to stick with traditional means, an electronic alarm wouldn't be the worst idea. With a consistent pounding in your head, the processing of your surroundings took much longer than usual.

Turning towards the inner part of the bed, you were met with the most heartwarming sight. One which also explained the protective hold on your body. His hair was tousled and the tufts on his head were pointed backwards. Most notable was his smile.

No longer there.

And in no way did this alarm you. No, this was something so rare. A relaxed mouth, breaths leaving at a constant rate. With his eyes closed too, he had never looked so peaceful.

Going against better judgment, and the slight inclination to never move from this position, you slip out of the grand bed and make your way through the room. With a flame igniting at the tip of your finger, you let it slowly light the fire to illuminate the room. It wasn't a surprise that he hung up the same hunting trophies he had in his life; neither was the rifle mounted on the fireplace mantle. Books he adored, books he knew to be helpful and books that you loved were scattered on his shelf, surrounded by trinkets and photo frames.

"A camera?" You tilt your head. "But it's so small!" A breeze drifts by in your garden, tea steam being blown away from the cups nestled into the picnic blanket.

Alastor laughs, looking at the device in his hands, "A friend let me borrow it, said it's the latest of its kind... how could I pass up the opportunity?" He shrugs, an excited grin on his face. "May I?"

"Me?" You fought the urge to look around. Was he really wanting to take your photo?

"Well I don't see anyone else worthy of it," he holds it up to his eye. "Let me see that beautiful smile," he hums, wanting nothing more than to capture every feature radiating in the afternoon sun. "I'll count down, alright? 3... 2... 1..." click! The flash goes off.

And after all these years, there you were, still young and beautiful with that ethereal glow of innocence. Passing by the shelf, you soon teeter on the edge of the wooden floor, the grass dewy and trimmed perfectly as small flowers sprouted from tufts of greenery on the ground.

"It's much too cold for you to explore," Alastor hums from behind you. He sat at the edge of the bed, a sleepy look on his face as he yawned. Venturing to his wardrobe, you spot exact copies of his suit two or three times, alongside other clothes within his colour scheme.

"Can you explore it?" You ask, nodding your head to the forest.

He glances over, taking a thick maroon jumper and handing it over to you, "it only goes so far, it isn't exactly real,"

"Magic?"

"Somewhat," he says curtly, "the animals are real, the water is, the trees, but it's only just a room," when you finished putting the jumper on, he conjures a cup of water for you as well as an aspirin. "How did you sleep?" He asks nervously, brushing it off as small talk.

"Best sleep I've gotten since I've been down here," small sips were taken, your head leaning on his shoulder. "Thank you for being my friend, Alastor. Thank you for all you do," you keep your eyes trailed on the fog. Alastor looks down at you with solemn eyes, contradicting that never wavering smile.

All he did? He would give you the moon and stars if you so wished. You had him wrapped tightly around your finger, and you had no idea. He would follow you to the ends of the earth, heaven and hell; he'd reach every corner if it meant being by your side.

"Alastor... look," you immediately stop drinking and point to the fog, "is that a deer?"

"Careful now," he gestures for you to slowly lower, hand on your back as you do so. "He'll come over,"

His heart was in your hands, and it poured out all it had to offer, unfortunately, left bubbling in his throat, never to be spoken. You were all he had, and he'd be damned if his heart would ruin it.

~~~

"Good morning, you two," Vaggie grinned ear to ear when you and Alastor made it to the dining room.

"Morning," you reply with slight hesitation. "What's got you chipper?"

"Oh nothing," she waves her hand, "everyone is still in bed, I'm surprised you two are up at all,"

"As are we," Alastor instructs his shadow to fetch coffee and tea while pulling out your seat.

"Still a little headache now and then," you dismiss her worries. "How's the dear princess?"

"Sleeping soundly," Vaggie sips at her coffee, smiling at the sight she had woken up to. Knotted hair, drool and limbs pointing in all the wrong directions. "Any plans?"

"Sleep," you yawn again. "I have a multitude of meetings scheduled in for the next few days so I deserve a day of rest,"

"I conquer, there's no need to worry yourself with any work nonsense, my dear," he pats your hand, "how about a nice bath, hm?"

"You know me so well,"

Vaggie was unable to process every word as it was said, let alone the body language you both showed. "You guys enjoy your uhh day together, I'm just going to... probably bleach my eyes and ears," she walks away, slightly unnerved by the more sentimental Alastor.

~~~

Omg the way I love cursed breaking bad photos 👹

Also slay double post in one day oh how I spoil you all

- Anna ❤️