Chapter 14 - The Expedition

"Finishing up?" Husk asks from the door to your room. He was in a tuxedo and leaning against the frame, an honest and straightforward look on his face.

"Just about. Do I look decent?" You gesture to the final choice made. The lush, rich fabric clung to your body, just about reaching the floor. The sleeves just fell off your shoulders, leading to matching gloves, all of a deep maroon colour.

(Feel free to change and let me know what you think Y/n would wear!! Do note further descriptions will be based on the red dress I initially described!)

"You look great. You have nothing to worry about," he then gestures if he can close the door. "I just need to talk,"

"If it's about my reaction to your comment during my breakdown, trust me, it was nothing personal; I am truly sorry for snapping like that," you then quiet down when he shakes his head.

"No, no, I just need to ask about the way you reacted," he explains gently, "I've never seen any demon showcase that type of power without souls, and by the looks of it, you aren't a deal maker," his words caused you to pause, adjusting your gloves. "Listen, I get some shit can be sensitive subjects, but if you got some crazy shit up your sleeves, I need to be at least aware,"

"My power's strength and source are of none of your concern, Husk," you give him an eerie smile. "I suggest you drop this subject,"

"I didn't mean to cause any trouble, Y/n," he raises his hands again. "I'm just saying if Alastor knows-"

"He doesn't, and he never will. He can't know." You turn back to your vanity and fix on your earrings. "Got it?"

Husk narrows his eyes at you, "he thinks you're all miss innocent, doesn't he?" It started to click. You would be an open book without him around. Alastor had changed so much since dropping into hell; you made this very clear, but was this all because you changed, too? Were you frightened you were much too different from the person many once knew?

"If you're implying I've got malicious intent like most overlords and worthless sinners down here, then you better rethink your words very wisely," you tap the vanity a few times. "Don't make me your enemy, Husk," after taking a deep breath, you walk to the door and gesture for him to leave, "this conversation never happened. You were never here. Nothing ever leaves this room."

Unsatisfied with the conclusion, Husk was reluctant to leave, but he knew better than to pry. "I'll see you downstairs,"

You shut the door in his face. He understood he knew it wasn't personal. As you slump down on your vanity chair again, you catch a glimpse of your reflection when fixing your shoes.

Deep within the harsh rainforest, flora and fauna fought hand in hand to prevent you from entering further than most were willing to go. That was a few hours prior. Now, before you was a site unknown to so many, it was the whispers between colleagues in high-class events and theories described by fanatics who are brushed off as dreamers.

You were no dreamer. You were an opportunist. Ruthless climbing to this very moment. The moment you would get him back. The moment you would at least get to say goodbye.

The depths of the barren cave were nothing you couldn't handle. It was never going to be a stroll, and with each step, you continued to lose a part of yourself.

Like greed in its purest form had taken over your every action, you were a moth drawn to the heavenly glow of an Angel blade.

"It's real..." your voice was a gravelly whisper, stepping forward and feeling the last of your light dimming as it was overwhelmed by the tempting miracles held in a single weapon.

The Holy weapon was your key to it all. You were fixing the mess that your life has become. The mess your life has become without Alastor.

"It's all real, my darling," tears started to form, a laugh slowly filling the quiet space. On and on, you felt the laugh turn deranged and desperate between sobs. Fingertips pushed back your hair, grabbing desperately as the relief finally settled in the pit of your stomach. If only you could have known what it would all lead to in the very end.

"I swear to you, I will find you again. That wasn't your time, no, no," you get back to your feet and snatch the blade, "fuck!" A searing burn ran all over your hand as the metal clattered against the ground, slicing at your palm as it fumbled. A tingling sensation started to seep into your skin, almost as if the burning sensation had moved from surface level and flowed into your system.

You grasped at your chest, finding your breath hard to catch as a tightening feeling rose. Moving up your neck, it's like cotton had been stuffed down your throat, enough to cause your nails to dig into your skin slowly.

This wasn't how it was meant to go.

This wasn't what you planned.

Your eyes refocus on yourself in the mirror. How you truly pitied yourself. A hand was brought to your neck, massaging the pathetic lump in your throat. Finishing off the final touches and taking your purse had you heading out the door in no time. When the lock sounds in the hallway, a lurking figure creeps up from behind, watching you tuck the golden key for your room into your purse.

Almost immediately, you sense this and turn around, spotting Alastor's shadow standing with its mouth hanging open. "You're a sneaky little thing, aren't you?" You hold your hand out to it, smiling when it takes you into a quick spin and dip. "Well, you certainly have a go-to move," standing back upright, you let it lead you to the elevator, descending to where the group was all ready to go.

~~~

Short chapter again, lol my bad

- Anna ❤️