Chapter 21 - Suggestions

From the moment he got back to the hotel, he headed right to the bar and sat down with a blank stare. The multitude of thoughts running through his head reflected through radio static hovering over him like a cloud, growing louder and louder until Husk interrupted.

"Uh, boss? You look a little... uhm," Husk loses his words.

"You look like ya shit ya pants in public," Angel interrupts, sprawled over a couch next to the bar. "I'd say ya witnessed 20 puppies getting run over, but I think you'd just laugh,"

"I can't believe I've been reduced to this," he sighs, using his magic to bring him his drink. "You two seem well acquainted; what is it you do for fun?" He soon took a hard swig of whiskey to spare the last of his dignity.

Angel blinked blankly, staring at Husk, who stared blankly at Alastor. The cat soon looked to Angel, whose lips formed a smirk. "Oh, we do plenty,"

"Then you know a jovial activity for two?" Alastor looks at Angel, who struts up to the bar and sits on the counter.

"Oh sure, perfect for two people," he assures. "Real jobial,"

"Jovial," Alastor corrects, giving him a slightly annoyed smile.

"Yeah, yeah, whatever," Angel scoffs.

"What's this activity then?" He takes another swig of his drink, choking on his drink when Angel starts to make lewd hand gestures. "Angel!" His voice distorted instantly.

"Alright, I'm sorry!" He bursts into laughter, "Be a little more specific next time, prude,"

"I meant something appropriate," he reiterates, "something two friends can entertain themselves with on a regular weekday afternoon,"

"Oh!" Angel smacks his forehead, "thought you were talkin' 'bout you an' Y/n,"

"I am," Alastor's head turns to the side, confused.

"But ya said, friend," Angel tried to make his point more straightforward but was met with Alastor's blank stare and Husk's sigh of annoyance. "Oh, you weren't kidding... you're telling me you and Y/n are just friends? Like still friends?"

"Yes, and?" Alastor missed each point despite them hitting him between the eyes.

"You and Y/n haven't done none of that coitus shit? Or whatever you old guys say," Angel's eyes couldn't widen anymore; he was absolutely speechless. "Wow,"

"Was it insinuated we were anything more?"

"Uh yeah, you're always making goo-goo eyes at each other, runnin' off together, and- well, you get the idea, either ya really close or ol' strawberry pimp here is down awful," Angel rambles. "Maybe you ain't dating, but you sure as hell don't help the case,"

"I have no idea what down awful means, but can we please move on to more important matters?" Alastor's face was nothing short of embarrassed yet again. God, this was going to kill him.

~~~

"Ah, Asmodeous, to what do I owe the pleasure?" You sit at your vanity, fully relaxed and recovered from the bath.

"Y/n, darling," he chuckles, "I have something you'll love to hear about," he hums pleasantly.

"Oh, don't play games with me; you know I hate beating around the bush," you do your usual routine as his voice emits from the phone. "Say it now and say it fast; I don't have all day,"

"No, no, this is face-to-face business, darl," he says with a hushed tone. "Trust me,"

Your eyes narrow at the phone, "Send your clown toy to Cecelia; she will deliver me the details. Understood?"

"As you wish," he lets you hang up first before proceeding with plans.

Returning to picking your clothes for the day, the thought of what this secret could be started to eat away at your thoughts. Eventually, your eyes drag over to the top of your vanity mirror. A singular photo was slotted between wood and glass, one of very few.

"Now, it's only fair I have a photo of you too, Mr Alastor," you hold your hand out for the camera, which he gladly hands over. "Now let me see that charming smile,"

A flash goes off, and it seems to faze him as much as your gentle compliment did. "You think my smile is charming?"

Your eyes widen then soften, "of course I do," the camera steadied beside you while your hand reaches up to hold his face, "It was one of the first things that made me fall-" your words stumble off, "feel safe around you,"

A rapid knock is heard on your door, "Come in!"

Alastor slowly opened the door and peered in, "Y/n, dear?"

"Oh, I was just thinking of you," you gesture to him, "I want to thank you for the bath again; it really did mean the world,"

"It was no trouble at all, my dear," he walks to your vanity and observes the photo, "I remember this,"

"Makes me feel safe," you copy your near-forgotten words. Not to him, no, he could never shake the sense of longing he felt when you said those words. Those few words that seemed to mend something in his soul, like purpose, had suddenly blinded him. He was keeping you safe, keeping your hand in his until the end of this long afterlife.

Alastor wandered closer, "I know you just recovered from the previous night's fancies," he stood behind you, hands on your shoulders, "but how would a night at a classic 1920s speakeasy sound?"

You look at him through the mirror's reflection. "Don't you remember how much we drank in those days?" A hand places atop his, "Do you really think I can't handle two nights on the town?"

"Ah, how could I forget?" Dancing the night away was always the way to go, but with you as his partner, he felt like he was stuck in an eternal heaven. A drink in hand and yours in his other, it was a rush that would only fade until days later.

"What time shall we leave?"

"How does half past seven sound?" He leads you off your chair and onto your feet.

"It sounds reasonable," you say playfully. "What should I wear?"

"Something that makes you feel as gorgeous as you look," he places another hand on your waist, gently leading a sway.

"I think I have just the thing," you rest your hand on his shoulder, almost swooning at the way he looked at you. "And I won't forget a smile,"

"You're never fully dressed without one," he hums gently.

~~~

Finally done with my damn report- luckily my professor took a quick look at a section yesterday and said she's excited to read it!!

- Anna ❤️