Chapter 9 - Paimon

You walk down the hall towards the meeting room with a scowl, hands behind your back as you practice your speech. With each step, your heels click faster and sharper with every second. The group were more civil than most Sinners that entered the museum, but if Hell taught you anything, it's that no one deserves trust without proving it first.

"Paimon!" Two Imp demons opened the door quickly before you could kick it off its hinges. "Darling, Honey, Sweetie," your eyes flash a dangerous glow, a blue flame slowly lining your silhouette. "Mind telling me why you're early? You know I hate it when people disrupt my precise schedule,"

A giant demon twice your size sat on a chair with orange fur cascading down to the floor. With more than enough wine in a big mug before him, each spill makes your eye twitch. "Ah, Y/n, good to see you,"

~~~

Alastor's eyes scan the museum around them all, being led through different exhibits. "Now, where did you go?" he whispers, spotting his missing shadow.

"You okay, Al?" Charlie spots him glancing about.

His eyes snap to her, "hm? Oh, nothing to worry about; I need to simply... find a bathroom, yes," he excuses, disappearing into a cloud of black smoke.

~~~

You sigh out, plastering a smile back to your face, "And I usually would say the same, but this is the fifth time you've done this," you sing through gritted teeth as Alastor's shadow gently hovers in a dark corner. "And you know how irritable I get about certain behaviours,"

King Paimon's amber eyes widen, "Oh, come now, Y/n, I'm sure you don't have much else going on~" he laughs at your words nervously.

Your hand slams into the table, leaving deep claw marks as you drag it down, "Don't have-?!" You take a deep breath and push back your hair, "Don't much else?" A laugh softly escapes you, "Paimon, do you have any idea what it takes to keep this thing in business? It's not with sweet smiles and please,"

Paimon sinks in his chair, "Listen, I thought we were close!" He watches you stalk around from your side of the table towards him, "Y/n, please, I swear it won't happen again- oh, please don't say a word to Lucifer!" He pleads.

Alastor walks down the endless hallway, following the green claw grazing along the walls. It's invisible to the naked eye, luckily. It was the quickest way to find his shadow, especially at times he may not notice him slipping away.

They lead to a room, the door closed, and window blinds shut, muffled voices behind the door. "Sneaky little thing," he curses under his breath, letting a small shadow key unlock the door quietly.

The light poured into the hall, just wide enough for him to observe silently.

Despite Paimon being much taller than most demons, you were still able to grasp at his collar and drag him down to your height, "This is a business, Paimon, and I am a businesswoman, a very busy one at that..." your eyes started to flicker, a dark pool of black slowly overtaking them. "Lucifer will be the least of your worries because trust me this much..." you grab his face, "my reputation certainly precedes me,"

"Yes, ma'am," He nods timidly, letting you go back to a more normal demon form.

You quickly dust his shoulders and pat them, "Good. Now come back at your appointment time... and don't disappoint me," you brush your suit down, "kisses, send my love to Asmodeous~" your words mock like an echo as Alastor slips through the darkness and down the hall as if nothing had happened.

Shutting the door behind you, you push back your hair and sigh, "Lovely start to the day," looking up, you were taken aback by Alastor standing a little down the hall, "Oh, Alastor, I didn't see you there,"

He watches you straighten up your posture, "Not to worry, I was just trying to find a restroom... is everything alright?"

"Yes, why wouldn't it be?" You wave off his concerns and take his arm, "the restroom is this way,"

~~~

Alastor ventured down the path towards the museum with a small box of cookies from a lovely baker down the road from his home. His smile was cheery that warm afternoon, hoping to have dinner with you that evening. As he turns the corner to the main entrance, he catches sight of you conversing with a man.

"Like I said, I will pay it all back as soon as I can," you whisper pleadingly. "I need one more month."

He rolls his eyes, laughing mockingly, "You think I'm some kind of fucking ditzy dame?" You were shoved back against the brick wall. "I want my money in two weeks, got it, bitch? Got it?" He reiterates, raising his hand only to bring it back down nearly as quickly.

"Is there a problem here?" Alastor held one hand behind his back, reaching for his pocket knife.

The man looked him up and down and rubbed his nose, nodding, "No, no problem here... right?" He looks at you, smiling, when you nod quickly. "See? No problem,"

"Then I suppose you're still free for the evening?" Alastor looks at you, holding his arm out for you. "Good afternoon," he says as soon as your hand makes contact, leading you down the road. He could feel your shake, pulling you closer and pressing a soft kiss to your temple, "are you alright?"

"I'm alright," you squeeze his arm, "thank you, he-... he was just a rude security guard we had recently fired, don't worry too much about it,"

And with a curt nod, he no longer worried about this man ever bothering you again. Oh, he was never to bother a single person ever again. That was a promise.

"Alastor?" You tap his shoulder, "are you alright?" The two of you walked loosely behind the group who were being toured.

"I'm quite fine, just... reminiscing, I suppose," he hums, "are you sure you wouldn't want to spend your lunch break differently?"

"Don't be silly now, Alastor, this is time well spent," you place a hand on his arm, "are you sure you're alright?"

"Don't worry about it, my dear," he pats your hand. You knew this man better than to pry further than this, but that also meant you knew how to take his mind off any worries clouding his mind.

The group turned a corner, finally attentive, as they entered the dinosaur exhibit. Moving past a corridor, you took this opportunity to tug Alastor away from the group, pressing your hand over his lips. "Hush. Follow me," with nothing more than a mischievous grin to assure him, Alastor moved his hand into yours, nodding curtly.

~~~

In an Owen Wilson voice: Wow

- Anna ❤️