Chapter 22 - Glimmering Ruby

Alastor stood pacing at his door, checking his watch as the time ticked closer to half past seven. Just a few more seconds, and that would be it. Tick... tick... tick!

7:30

He swings the door open, crossing the hall to knock at your door. It was rhythmic and hurried, though he didn't mean to sound as so. A gentle "come in" was heard. "Always on time,"

"It wouldn't be very gentleman-like of me to be late, now would it?" He closed the door behind him, watching your reflection in your vanity. Just as earlier, you sat there with a warm smile, gesturing him closer. "Mind helping a gal out?" In your held-out palm, you present him with a very familiar ruby necklace.

"Y/n?" Alastor called out from your front door, waiting and hearing no answer to his relief. He puts the two hairpins away and pushes your door wide open, walking in and then kicking it shut.

It was your birthday, and you had been much too busy to think about any date except the museum's deadline. Alastor knew this, so he took it upon himself to set up the very best surprise he could put together all by himself.

Of course, since this was for you, he went above and beyond what he would usually bother with. Balloons, a fresh cake, presents, colourful candles, streamers and a banner. All were placed correctly and ready for your arrival just as you reached your doorstep. The sound of the door unlocking made Alastor quickly strike a match and light all the candles.

Even with the current rough spot in the economy, your dear friend Alastor had curated something beyond anything you would have ever expected.

Your eyes were weary, trained on the ground as you slumped against your door and tossed your purse to the side. "Why can't people just do their jobs?" Your complaint echoes from the front, unknowingly hitting listening ears. Shoes tucked back into their spot by the door as you lay your coat over the couch.

"Surprise!" Alastor pulls at a party popper. With every right, you let out a quick shriek and end up stumbling back against the couch before toppling over. "Y/n??"

"Ow..." you groan, laying against the floor with one hand massaging a sore spot on your head.

"Oh, dear," he rushes to the freezer for some ice, bringing it over and placing it on the sore spot. "Are you alright?"

"Yeah," you couldn't help but laugh, "you scared the absolute life out of me!" You smack the towel he wrapped the ice in against his arm.

"I didn't mean to!" He counters apologetically, laughing along with you. "I'll be sure to lay off on the surprises," Alastor places a gentle kiss on the spot you had accidentally bumped.

"What's the surprise anyway?" You slowly get back to your feet, finding your answer right in front of you.

Scattering the ceiling, colourful balloons floated about, a few stuck on either side of the banner taped to the cupboards in the kitchen. Upon the counter was a classic chocolate cake with 'Happy Birthday' inscribed in red icing and a few candles placed around. Not to mention, the three gifts settled beside the cake, all wrapped by Alastor. He did try his best. But it was more than just perfect.

"Oh, Alastor..." your hands rested against your chest, your rapid heart beats roughly against your chest, a multitude of emotions rushing over like a tsunami.