Chapter 24 - Long, long time

A/n: all songs credited at the end

~~~

"I think I still owe you a dance. A proper one at that,"

There it was. The words you have waited almost a whole century to hear are finally spoken.

"I thought you'd never ask- Woah!" You were pulled up in an instant, Alastor a few drinks in, like yourself. But if Mimzy was right about anything, he could pound whiskey like a sailor with no trouble.

Perks of being alive during the era of prohibition!

Mimzy was the first to catch sight of Alastor and yourself in the crowd, her voice never faltering but her smile failing to stay.

Lovely choice of song, you must admit. While a bit past your time, it would be a lie to say it didn't have a meaningful catch. The instrumental went on for a few seconds, letting partners sway to the beat for a moment.

With one hand on your waist and the other holding your hand, Alastor couldn't take his eyes off you for one second. All the guilt, all the regret, all the missed time he thought about spending with you whirred out his mind.

"Never thought that you would be... standing here so close to me,"

You couldn't control the pounding in your chest, the rhythm nearly throwing you for a loop as you swayed.

"There's so much I feel that I should say,"

Alastor watched as your eyes averted away from time to time. A look of understanding and slight amusement forms, only growing at your every reaction. "Eyes up, my darling," his finger hooks under your chin, bringing focus to him again.

"But words can wait until some other day,"

From a sway, he brought you out from his hold, letting you carefully take each step in this slow dance. It wasn't about dancing correctly or even dancing to the tune. It was about you in this moment and how his heart soared when he saw you under the warm light.

"Kiss me once,"

Oh, how we wanted to. His lips twitch, eyes darting down, then back up. Half-hooded gaze focused on every feature, not taking a single second for granted.

"Then kiss me twice, then kiss me once again,"

He took you back in, almost urgently wanting to have you close. Fingers intertwining, a slight chill runs down his spine, nearly surprising him. A rush like no other. Excitement behind adrenaline.

"It's been a long, long time,"

It was love.

"Haven't felt like this, my dear, since can't remember when,"

Your arms move to rest around his neck, continuing that comfortable sway that others around fell into as well. Both his hands soon slip to rest on your waist, a few fingers tapping to the beat, which only causes you to smile.

"It's been a long, long time,"

"You don't know how long I've waited for this, Alastor," you whisper gently, moving your hand to fix his hair a little.

"You'll never know how many dreams I dream about you,"

"I hope I haven't disappointed," he hums, remembering sombre nights of regret, the single thought of a dance with you one day. Keeping his mind at ease.

"Or just how empty they all seem without you,"

A soft huff of disbelief leaves you, "Alastor? Disappoint me? How absurd,"