Chapter 6 - Cannibal Town

"Thank fuck! Edible-looking food," Each sinner eventually made their way out of their rooms, slumping at the table with a grumble. Angel was the first to dig in, Husk, Vaggie and Pentious all following suit. Their grumpy auras slowly fade.

You smile softly and continue to listen to Charlie's plans for the day after quick good mornings are exchanged. Darting your eyes to your left, you see the huddled eggs holding knives and pointing them your way. "Shoo," you usher them away, "and put those away," They jump and scurry away, unbeknownst to Pentious, who was attentive to perfectly stacking pancakes on his plate.

"Where's smiles?" Angel asks, mouth half full.

You look to your watch, "he should have finished his broadcast about two minutes ago," looking up, the group stares with differing reactions.

"Why the fuck do you know that?" Husk raises a brow, leaning back with a smirk.

"He keeps the same schedule as he did when we were alive," you sip at your tea and look at them all, "Why are you all looking at me like that?"

"Just curious," Niffty grins, head in her hands.

"About what?" You eye them with suspicion, leaning away from them.

"Oh, nothing bad!" Charlie holds her hands up. "It's just that we don't know much about Alastor, and you two seem close!"

"We were friends, yes, but only as well acquainted as most would know," you shrug it off, "I don't know his deepest, darkest secrets or any of that nonsense,"

"What's his favourite colour?" Angel leans forward.

"Maroon,"

"How about your favourite dish?" Husk rests his head in his paw.

"His mother's Jambalaya,"

Charlie widens her eyes and nudges Vaggie. "Oh, what about his favourite flower?"

"Black Magic Petunias, if not, Venus Flytraps," you face Charlie, "I don't see the big deal here,"

"What's not a big deal?" Alastor's radio hum was dismissed amongst all the chatter, leading to a sudden appearance.

"They're all acting strangely," you pour a cup of coffee for Alastor, preparing it just to his liking.

"Thank you, my dear," he sits down in the empty seat beside you. "I see you're treating the hotel to your cooking,"

"Oh, hush now, everyone should get a taste of my pancakes once in their afterlife," you shake your head, handing him a plate.

"I'm pretty sure he'd rather get a taste of y-" Angel was hardly able to whisper his comment as Husk did a spit take, knowing where the joke was going.

"Sorry, did you say something?" You ask, unable to catch what he said.

Alastor, however, heard every single word. In retaliation, his shadow grabbed Angel's chair and pulled it out from under him. "Not cool, asshole!" You were quick to assist, only for Angel to shake his head, "It's fine, just get him under control," he pointed to the shadow.

"I'm sure he meant no harm," Alastor taps his fingers against the table, grinning smugly.

~~~

"Alastor!" You hurry to dry off your hands after cleaning up, catching him just before he leaves. "Sorry, but I was just wondering if you were preoccupied with any prior engagements?"

He lets his microphone disappear, clasping both hands behind his back. "None to my knowledge. Why?"

"Well, it seems we lack a few fresh ingredients. I originally asked Charlie for a hand, but she seemed insistent on having you come along grocery shopping with me instead... of course, if you would like," you stammer a little over your words before finally gaining back your confidence. There was no need to stammer or stutter. This was Alastor, after all.

"My, I'm almost offended you didn't ask me first!" He places a hand on his chest, conjuring a day hat to place on his head.

"Well, you've always been such a busy man," you laugh, "I almost never saw you during your prime,"

Alastor taps his chin, shrugging casually, "I suppose that's a fair assumption,"

"Anyways, I'll be just a moment. Do you mind waiting a few minutes?"

"Not at all, my dear," he figured you would need to change into something a bit more comfortable. As you turn the corner, he finds his smile starts to tremble with guilt.

~~~

The roads from Main Street slowly took a pleasant turn as Cannibal Town came into view. The air turned sweeter, at least as sweet as Hell could get, while the plants seemed to flourish under the light spritz of water that sprinklers provided. Rotting flesh only seemed to scatter the gutters on the street, which was a usual pleasant surprise for all Hell-inhabitants who passed by.

No other market beat that of Cannibal Groceries, a small business with fresh fruit and tender meat unlike any other provided by the many circles of this realm. Aisles were lined with unexpired products, all boxes orderly and undamaged as cashier attendants efficiently checked out shoppers.

"The only store in Hell that reminds me of home," you hum, grabbing a basket.

Alastor's eyes meet yours, a soft reminisce gracing his face, "It does, doesn't it?" the tiled floors and old wallpaper were all too similar to that of the local grocer in New Orleans, just by your old home; he almost wondered why he never made such a connection.

Alastor walked down the streets. Your address is written on a small slip of paper he folded neatly and put back in his pocket. "Two hundred and twenty-one Decatur Street," he mumbles, looking around and seeing your house just one door over. He was amused not to have noticed it before. Who else would have a house like this? The picture-perfect white picket fence, blossoming flowers along deep emerald foliage, pristine mailbox with the numbers expertly handwritten along the white coat of paint in an onyx black.

"Alastor?" your voice called from behind him, just a few feet away. "I didn't think you would be so on time,"

"It would be rude to be late," he chuckles, seeing you hold a few bags of groceries, "here, let me," he was quick to your aid, taking two bags in his arms as you finally locate your keys.

"You're such a sweetheart," you lead him through the gate and up the porch stairs, "I do apologise. I just realised my kitchen looked awfully bare," placing it all on the kitchen counter when you got in, Alastor took a little longer as he moved from the front door and into the hall which was lined with photos framed perfectly. They lead slowly past a set of stairs and into a neatly kept kitchen, herbs growing on your window sill overlooking a small garden.

"It's not a worry at all, my dear," he places them on the counter and helps you unpack. "What a lovely house; I must say I'm jealous of how well-kept your garden looks,"

"My mother was always insistent on a nice garden," you place fruit into the centre bowl and place the other items away, "the markets I went to have a lovely garden section outside. I get all my plants from there,"

"Then we absolutely must go!" He insists before taking a mental step back, "Of course, when you next plan to," he quickly folds the bags up, smile wavering a little when his eyes divert from yours.

You take a box of tea sachets and walk by him, placing a hand quickly on his arm to assure, "I think I'd like that very much,"

~~~

Weeee wooo

Weeee wooo

- Anna ❤️