Chapter 23 - Blind Pig

Maroon skies turn a murky colour as stars fail to shine through the muggy city air. While you wore what you usually would in life, something that didn't often attract attention, hell was a banquet of inconvenience as cat callers had no shame, and demons failed to see beyond a pretty face.

But who's surprised?

Well, you were certainly shocked by the averting eyes and running figures as you held Alastor's arm. "Perks of being the radio demon,"

"Hm?" He looks your way then to the empty streets, "Ah, well, my reputation certainly precedes me," a tinge of pride laces his voice, "ah! Here we are," he guides you to a tailor who was known throughout parts of Hell as a go-to for high-quality clothing, shoes and accessories.

In addition, and a positive one at that, it acted as a speakeasy to not only keep the vintage charm but also keep unwanted deviants from ruining such a quaint spot.

"This is a speakeasy? How did I have no idea??" You whisper shout, walking through after he opens the door for you, a bell chiming from above.

"Hush now, my darling," he places a finger on his lip, immediately quieting you up. The door clicks behind you both, the same bell sound hitting your ears again.

"What can I do for you two this evening?" A demon comes out from our back, holding a stack of shirts.

"I was told you have shoes made from the leather of a blind pig," of course, as soon as he said this, the password was quite evident.

A quick pull of what seemed to be a lever under the counter triggered gears to click behind emerald green wallpaper, a section dipping behind and sliding effortlessly to the left.

"Thank you," Alastor leads you through the door that swiftly closes behind, directing you down oak steps polished to the very grain.

Black metal twisted upwards with a similar polished wood for a handrail, curling into itself at the end. Patrons bustled about, and if it weren't for the demonic forms they took, you would've believed you were sent back in time. Almost everything was filled to the brim, only a few tables left empty and bar stools surrounded by laughing patrons instead of being sat on.

Carvings, intricately designed, were prominent on pillars and columns, and geometric patterns were almost a bit too cliche for your liking. But the velvet curtains, how they brought a different type of nostalgia, pleated and held back with golden rope.

"Wow," and that's all you were able to say at first, unable to fathom the beauty of this speakeasy. "This is..."

"Quite the spot, isn't it?" He looks at a demon wearing a suit, almost commanding him without a single word. In an instant, two more demons rush up and take your coats, the first one soon leading the way to a small booth. Drawn-back velvet curtains secluded the booth with ease, the rounded seats creating an intimate atmosphere. Not to mention the small vase with a single rose and candles.

"Are you trying to romance me, Mr Radio Demon?" You tease softly.

"Would you object if I was?" He counters, letting you sit first before he did.

Your answer was halted, mouth opening then immediately closing when a high-pitched banshee was heard. Otherwise known as Mimzy. "Alastor! Sweetheart!"

Alastor didn't seem too bothered, quickly standing up with his arms open, "Mimzy! What a delight, isn't it?"

"Always, always," she kisses his cheek, heart eyes more evident than ever. "I see you've brought someone with you," her arms crossed, a new tone taken directly with you. "Thought we'd have a night of dancing,"

"Come on, now, don't you remember Y/n?" He reminds, gesturing to you before sitting back down.

Mimzy gave a slight, narrow glance, nearly sneering when she recognised you. "How did little innocent Y/n end up here, hm? Forget to pay for some eggs and milk?"

Your eyes narrowed at her, "Not exactly, but I'm guessing endless debt and slimy fingers got you here, Mimz," in the corner of your eye, you could see Alastor holding back a more amused smile.

How her blood boiled when you called her that. In turn, she scoffs, "So what?"

"Oh, nothing, I suppose you're just predictable!" you laugh sweetly, "Al, never told me you worked here," a hand places over his.

"Actually, I own the place," she stomps her foot, arms folding. "Anywho! What can I get ya?"

It was more than obvious she only spoke to Alastor, but the look on her face was beyond annoyed when he answered, "Gin Rickey for Y/n," he looked to you for agreement before proceeding with his order, "and a whiskey in a chilled glass for myself,"

"Comin' right up," her voice drops, slightly gravelly as she storms off.

"Well, she hasn't changed," you comment softly.

"Maybe how deep in debt she is," Alastor coughs under his breath, "pardon me,"

~~~

Another demon soon delivered drinks, and Mimzy took the stage as usual. Her singing was lovely, and you couldn't deny it one bit. Credit is due where credit is due.

"Thank you for bringing me here, Alastor; I really needed this," you held up your glass, "to the man who changed my life,"

"And the woman who bettered mine," he raises his glass, "to us,"

"To us," your glasses clink, and for a moment, you could almost feel a magnet drag you closer to him.

Crimson hair illuminated by candlelight and his smile more genuine, each second was another reason to fall further in love. Whether or not your heart could handle itself shattering, this was reiterating that despite the longing, his friendship was the sweet embrace that held you together.

Small talk grew from minuscule conversation to more profound, meaningful catching up. From him helping out with the hotel to your friendship with Lucifer, most topics were covered until one question crossed Alastor's mind.

"I have to ask," Alastor sips at his drink, changing the subject, "and by all means, tell me if you'd rather not answer... but after my death, were you okay? Did my death have anything to do with-?" His question seemed shallow at face value, but you knew what he meant.

"I was okay... losing you was tough, but I continued to do my best," you shuffle closer, "and don't think the worst, my death was nothing like that," a look of relief passed his face. "I was on an expedition,"

A sigh audibly escaped him, "I hope I didn't come off as narcissistic for asking,"

"And I didn't exactly make it clear," you assure it was alright, "would you mind if I ask something as well?" You wait for his nod, "the papers said you were found in the forest... were you-?"

He gave a slightly embarrassed nod, "A Hunter mistook me for... well, a deer," Alastor then took your hand, "and since we're on the topic of that dreadful day... I think I still owe you a dance. A proper one at that," he stood up and held his hand out.

~~~

Personal apology to Adamsusedc0nd0m for the Mimzy cameo

- Anna ❤️