14. Dinner party

"Did you read this?" He asked, holding up the report sheet

"Did you read this?" He asked, holding up the report sheet. I shook my head, not wanting to deal with whatever it was in it

"No, I don't want to," I muttered, my voice trembling with emotions. But Leonel didn't give up so easily. He came and sat down beside me, placing a comforting hand on my shoulder.

"Issa, you should," he said gently, urging me to take the paper from him. I stubbornly refused at first, not wanting to relive any more pain. But after a lot of convincing, I reluctantly took the paper from him.

As I opened it, my heart raced with anxiousness of what I might find. What If, what's inside is worse than how Doctor Clarkson explained. I couldn't bear to read anything that would further wound my already broken heart.

"Issa just read it" Leonel urged me when he noticed my dilemma. Taking a deep breath, I mentally encouraged myself and began reading through the words inscribed.

"I'm sorry if what I said scared you darling, but that was the only way I could make the situation appear real to your husband, Pablo. I didn't need anyone to tell me that your previous reports were fake, and he brought you to the hospital to confirm that.

You do not have any illness, you're perfectly fine isadora. Those medications are supplements and vitamins that will help improve your health. I know he may want to take you to another hospital, but you don't have to worry about that, I left my phone number beneath this letter, you can always reach out to me and I'll come to your aid. Additionally, if you ever figure out that he plans to take you abroad for more medical tests, do not fail to reach out to me also.

I don't know what you may be going through sweetheart but I need you to hang on, everything will be fine. If you ever need someone to talk to, feel free to come to my office, I'll always be opened to you.

Yours sincerely
Doctor Mara Clarkson

Tears rolled down my cheeks as I read through her words, my heart sank and my breath caught in my throat.

"I...I'm not sick," I whispered to myself, trying to wrap my head around the news.

I sobbed uncontrollably, my tears staining the letter that was now crumpled beyond recognition. Relief and happiness rumbled in my belly

Just then, Leonel wrapped his arms around me, and I felt his own tears on my shoulder. We didn't need words to express our joy.

After what seemed like an eternity, we pulled away from each other and he handed me his handkerchief.

"Yes, sis, you're fine," he whispered to me, "You still have a life ahead of you, you still have a long way to go and I really do hope that you have the best out of it."