28. Reunion

It's almost a month since I was discharged, and today, as I stood before the mirror, a genuine smile graced my face

It's almost a month since I was discharged, and today, as I stood before the mirror, a genuine smile graced my face. Happiness and ease enveloped me, as if the weight I carried for nineteen years has finally been lifted up.

For the first time, my eyes reflected clarity, unburdened by worry. As the joy of the reunion filled my heart, a pang of sadness welled within me. Thoughts of the recent news about my great-grandmother resurfaced– the heartbreaking revelation of her passing due to a heart attack, a consequence of my kidnapping and condition.

While I longed to spend time with her, I couldn't help but accept that it was her time to depart from this world. A bittersweet mix of emotions overwhelmed me– sadness for her departure, yet a certain happiness, knowing she had found eternal rest in a better place.

I broke out of my thoughts and wore my smile back on and just then Alvaro walked in, dressed in a light blue hoodie and matching trousers, sneakers completing the look. A simple chain adorned his neck, and he looked as attractive as ever.

"You are altogether beautiful, Tesoro; there is no flaw in you," he complimented and butterflies assembled in my belly as I hugged him. "You are the most handsome of men; grace is poured upon your lips; therefore God has blessed you forever," I respond, savoring the shared commitment to our newfound life in Christ.

He placed a tender kiss on my forehead. Since our baptism, we've chosen to remain abstinent until marriage, a decision that will deepen our connection with ourselves and God.

"How do you feel?" he asks, and I take a deep breath, a broad smile lighting up my face.

"I feel great. I feel elated to finally see my mother after believing she was gone for so many years," I share, emotions swirling within me.

"I'm sure she'd be happy to see you too, and Leonel," he reassures, pulling me into a comforting hug.

"Come on, let's go," he suggests, and with intertwined hands, we left my room.

As I descended the stairs, the warmth of familial support enveloped me. Lakshmi, my stepmom and a steadfast mother figure for years, pulled me into her embrace at the bottom stair. Her smile, tinged with tears, conveyed the depth of her emotions.

"This is such an overwhelming moment for me, Issa. I've been your mother for years, and now you're about to reunite with your real mom, it's just so..." she began, her words trailing off into the unspeakable.

"Mom," I interrupted gently, drawing her into my embrace. When we pulled away, I held her cheeks, brushing away tears with a soft smile. "I'll always consider you my mother. Reuniting with Mama doesn't change how much you mean to me. I love you, and I appreciate everything you did for Leonel and me in the absence of our mother."

Leonel, echoing the sentiment, added, "Yes, Mom, you should know that we love you so much and appreciate every single thing you did for us."

Overwhelmed, she choked on a sob and opened her arms. "Come here, you two," she said with a heartfelt invitation, and we chuckled before stepping into her comforting embrace.