Chapter 5: Reliving the Pain

Adora slowly awoke to the smell of food wafting through the apartment. groaning softly she opened her eyes, surprised that there was a pillow under her head. shifting further had her noticing the blanket now hanging around her hips and legs. pushing it gently to the side she found her mind less hazy, and mind a lot sharper. finally taking in her surroundings she tried to remember bits and pieces of what had happened.

"hey, are you getting hungry? food will help you heal, food and good rest at least." Adora whipped around to the sound of the voice, making her vision sway slightly. she studied her old friend and felt a small smile start forming. she fought it down the best she could before her friend saw it but to no luck. Catr returned the smile and walked over to help Adora to the table, which she didn't deny.

once her guest was sitting at heer seat, Catra brought everything from the kitchen to the table getting bowls and cutlery before sitting herself. she motioned for Adora to serve herself, and she did after a little hesitant. After adora started eating Catra gathered some herself. after a few minutes of the cutlery hitting the bowls Catra spoke up softly. "soo...what were you doing in that Alley? surely your parents are still in town?" Adora hesitated not looking up from her food. Catra waited silently for either Adora to explain or for her to snap. after another bite Adora answered.

"i....was discharged so i thought i would come back...hoped my parents would still let me live with them. lest for a bit but they weren't in the house.. they must've moved."
Catra's face softened and she looked down at her food. "im sorry to hear that 'dora.. but why the alley?" "it was the only safe place.. i was gonna look for you.. or Glimmer or Bow, but i doubted you guys wanted to see me after the way i left.."

"Adora we would've welcomed you in! it doesn't matter that you left in a bad way. you are our friend." Catra said firmly but softly so that Adora knew. Adora lifted her head and gave a small smile. and the air was light between the old friends, Catra catching Adora up with what happened. "Oh! did you know Glimmer and Bow are together!" "wait what?! seriously?! i knew they liked each other!" adora said laughing softly. "I know right?! i had the same reaction when they announced they were together!' Catra said through giggles herself. they let their laughter go for a few more minutes before calming down.

"thats good though. im glad they figured it out." adora said looking at her food again. "hey, i told them you were here, however i told them you may not be up for visitors, but i can invite them if you want to see them?" Catra said softly looking at her old friend, trying to figure her reaction. "...that would be nice.. but i dont want them to see me like this..." she motions to her stump, then towards her prosthetic. "you know they wouldn't care right? you are their friend.. and you saw them at their worst." "its not just that... its just weird to have them see it.." "i have pants that could fit you? would that make you feel better?" catra suggested just trying to help. at adoras nod catra nodded getting up an taking both their empty bowls and grabbing her phone,walking to her bedroom. Adora hopped her way to the couch and sat with a huff reaching for her prosthetic ready to put it on.

she wasn't ready for the flashbacks that attacked once she gripped the metal. flashes of her entire time in the service, and flashes of the day she lost her leg. all she could hear was the screams and explosions from that day. she hardly felt herself fall out off the couch, nor hear or see Catra running back yelling whats going on. she felt her friend touch her shoulder but when she turned she saw the doctors and cried out again, wrenching free and moving back, until her back hit the couch, where she curled up hands over her ears and crying out trying to hide. Catra slowly moved closer to the cowering girl and sat beside her, slowly to not frighten her further. after a few seconds Catra wrapped her arms around the trembling form into a tight hug. After a few seconds she felt adora lean against her, and bury her head against her friends shoulder, crying loud against the stillness of the room.

Catra let her friend cry until she wasn't able to anymore before slowly pulling back to see her. getting up, and bringing Adora up with her, she sat down with adora at the couch, never once leaving the now silent girl. after a few moments she spoke out softly. "adora? what happened? you can tell me, i wont judge." adora was silent for a while longer before ducking her head and almost whispering. "flashback....and pani-panic attack to the day... i lost the leg.." catra gripped her hand tightly waiting for Adora to either ask for more comfort or explain. "it was a solo mission.. just for details on the enemy's weaponry... it was going well until one of the rookies from the other side had lit a fire to close to one of the bombs... it exploded the entire base... i w-was hit by shrapnel in the chest and legs... the helmet protecting me from the blast.. woke up 2 weeks later with the stump.."

Catra stayed silent offering her support with light nudges and soft squeezes of her hand. after adora finished she brought her friend in for another hug, tightening her hold. "your so strong.. you made it and im glad you did.." adora just stayed quiet shaking in the hold of her friend. "did you want your prothstic?" se felt adora shake her head and she just nodded gently tighten her hold softly. soon enough the sound of the doorbell rang through the quiet apartment. "ah thats Glimmer and Bow.. here lets put the blanket over okay?" Ctara gently removed herself and help Adora tuck the blanket over her leg, hiding it a little bit, then putting the prosthetic close to adora so she wont lose sight of it.

with her friend seatled she moved to the door and opened it for her other two friends. she was prepared for the craziness of these friends.